FreeBSD7.3-release and samba3.4 installation problem

Hello all,
First of all, I am new to that forum and to FreeBSD as well.
I would like to install a samba service to create a file/print server.

I did "make install" from /usr/ports/net/samba34 and received an information, that I have samba4-devel and tdb-1.2.0 installed and as samba3.4 puts files in the same folder, I must remove these two packages before I can continue. Uninstalling samba4-devel was easy, but tdb-1.2.0 has more dependencies and I can't remove it.

How can I install samba3.4 then?

Code:
pasjonet kuki1 /usr/ports/net/samba34 # make install

===>  samba34-3.4.5_1 conflicts with installed package(s):
      tdb-1.2.0

They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

and

Code:
pasjonet kuki1 /usr/ports/net/samba34 # pkg_delete tdb-1.2.0
pkg_delete: package 'tdb-1.2.0' is required by these other packages
and may not be deinstalled:
libmapi-0.9_1
evolution-mapi-0.28.2_2
gnome2-2.28.2_1

One solution is to remove tdb and everything that depends on it: # pkg_delete -r tdb-1.2.0.

Then # cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 && make rmconfig and rebuild gnome without evolution-mapi support. This shouldn't take too long, most of it is already installed.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
The command which will allow me to rebuild will launch text based menu where I will be able to deselect what I dont want? Or I have to prepare a config file?

Code:
pasjonet kuki1 / # cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 && make rmconfig
===> No user-specified options configured for gnome2-2.28.2_2
pasjonet kuki1 /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 #

I never build the full gnome, I always stick to gnome2-lite and add the things I need/want. It looks like it only shows that option when building gnome2-lite:
Code:
.if !defined(GNOME_SLAVE) || ${.CURDIR:T}=="gnome2-lite"
OPTIONS=        XSCREENSAVER "Use xscreensaver as screen saver app" off \
                MAPI "Depend on evolution-mapi (pulls in samba4)" on
.endif

It gives me the same error on gnome2-lite
Code:
pasjonet kuki1 /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite # make rmconfig
===> No user-specified options configured for gnome2-lite-2.28.2_3
Gnome2 lite is OK for me. Important is Samba 3.4 as it is well documented and stable. Samba 4 is still under developement and for newbie like me that is not good ;).

To be honest I have no idea why they have that samba4-devel dependency. I know it's needed by evolution-mapi but not why.

Just try to do a # make config and see if you get the option menu.

Thanks a lot. Now I am more into "installing things" thing ;) problem solved. Gnome reinstalled without evolution-mapi support, no desktop elements lost (despite the backup of course) and samba is now downloading. Thanks again.

Back