freebsd xorg cinnamon

hd99

Hi,

I tried to install freebsd and I have two interrogations :

the first one, my installation is done, is how to get the cinnamon working well?
I followed several howto, xorg starts, but it crashes on Failed to execute login command
I dont know how to solve it...

thank you!

ps:: on the second one, is there an howto to install freebsd next to a windows/linux installation with just a 20gb extended partition?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I have two interrogations
Probably something that got lost in translation but I feel I might be waterboarded next. I assume you have two questions.

I followed several howto, xorg starts, but it crashes on Failed to execute login command
Only one you should follow: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/x11/#x-install

Please enter cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 and post the URL here. So we can have a look at your configuration logs.

Alain De Vos

Son of Beastie

Cinnamon might have broken behavior. It's best first to try the mate desktop.
pkg install x11/mate

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Ok, your Xorg configuration looks correct. It appears to load the correct things. Where exactly are you getting the error?

OP
H

hd99

Failed to execute login command
Ok, your Xorg configuration looks correct. It appears to load the correct things. Where exactly are you getting the error?
Failed to execute login command

OP
H

hd99

That is an error with the SLiM display manager. You need to add exec /usr/local/bin/cinnamon to your .xinitrc file.
the same.. even in the root or user .xinitrc, at the end, the screen appears but the error stays..

kpedersen

Son of Beastie

If you just start the Xorg server via startx (as a user). Do you see your desktop?
if not, can you post your .xinitrc file?