FreeBSD/XEN - Upgrading to 12.0-release-p9 failed: ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable. Also: what is my boot disk?

Hi there!

I run a virtual Freebsd box (using XEN) on a cloud server (Gandi). Of course, I have not access to the hypervisor itself.

Yesterday, I tried to upgrade from 12.0-RELEASE-p3 to p9. Failed with the above message. Apparently the zfs boot driver has changed between p3 and p9.
Okay, booted on kernel.old (which is not easy with only a KVM), and then figured out I had to use gpart(1) to upgrade to boot code.
However, I'm faced with a head-scratching conundrum: what is my boot disk and how to access it?

Two ZFS disks are installed on xbd0 and xbd2 with xbd0 being the root disk. However gpart list doesn't want to play with these, and only recognises an xbd25 device, in which it detects two slices:

Code:
Gandi > gpart show xbd0
gpart: No such geom: xbd0.

Gandi > gpart show xbd25
=>      8  3315696  xbd25  GPT  (1.6G)
        8       56         - free -  (28K)
       64  3295101      1  freebsd-swap  (1.6G)
  3295165        3         - free -  (1.5K)
  3295168    20480      2  ms-basic-data  (10M)
  3315648       56         - free -  (28K)

Trying to write a new bootcode on xbd25p1 failed. I mean, gpart worked alright, but the subsequent boot failed with the same error. Where am I supposed to write the new bootloader? The man pages are not very informative.

Thanks a bunch!

Trying to write a new bootcode on xbd25p1 failed.
p1 is your freebsd-swap partition.

You don't appear to have a freebsd-boot partition. Maybe the ms-basic-data partition is actually an efi partition and it boots from there?

p1 is your freebsd-swap partition.

You don't appear to have a freebsd-boot partition. Maybe the ms-basic-data partition is actually an efi partition and it boots from there?
Yeah, I should try. I didn't already because I imagined I had somehow missed something obvious. But since nothing seems to be sticking out, I'll go on with your suggestion. Thanks a lot.

It didn't work. I sent a message to the support team. I hope they will come up with something meaningful.
Thanks again.

Back