freebsd X Windows System and desktop environments are not working after upgrading to 14.1 release.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have brought new pc with ryzen 5500GT and Asus prime b450 motherboard and I have installed freebsd 14.0 two days back and yesterday I have upgraded my system to 14.1 release. At present I am not able to run kde desktop environment smoothly.

Two days back there was a problem on connecting to internet through tp link 725 wireless adapter and that was rectified but at that time kde desktop environment was working properly.

But now I am able to connect to internet but kde desktop environment is not working properly.

At first time when I installed freebsd 14.0 I have installed kde5 package and after that I have installed drm_kmod and after that I added some text to /etc/rc.conf as suggested in how to install desktop environment wiki page.

I have added hald_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.

I have seen that there is a stable release of freebsd called 14.1-release and so I have upgraded to 14.1 release. I have followed all the steps suggested in how to upgrade wiki page.

Upto now everything was working fine but I thought to install other desktop environments like gnome lxde etc., and lang/gcc.

So I have issued the following command.

sudo pkg install gnome lxde lxqt mate cinnamon xfce lang/gcc.

pkg fetced packages and asked to remove packages related to plasma or kde desktop and so I replied as yes.

I think that lxqt is conflicting with kde5.

After that I have restarted my system as usually and tried to login through sddm into cinnamon desktop but I got a blank desktop with few buttons.

After that I have removed lxqt neta package and installed again kde5 through cli.

After that I have restarted my system and tried to login through sddm into kde desktop but the desktop environment is not as good as before.

I have searched for xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 and /usr/local/etc/X11 but I can't find anything.

Another point is that the above mentioned directories are empty which should contain xorg.conf and other files related to graphics card, monitor etc.,.

I think that while upgrading xorg and graphics card configuration files are deleted.

Now my requirement is the X Windows System and graphics card must be configured properly and store the configuration into proper places.

Kindly try to suggest how to do so.

Regards,
Rupesh.

It may be your drm module that doesn't load anymore because of the dicrespency of versions between 14.0 and 14.1. A classic and cyclic problem with FreeBSD, at each minor version change.

I have added hald_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.
Remove it, it has no use anymore. sysutils/hal was removed eons ago.

I have searched for xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 and /usr/local/etc/X11 but I can't find anything.
The xorg.conf file is not needed anymore in most cases. If you need to specifically configure some part, because the auto-detection failed, then you should put some configuration snippets in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

I think that while upgrading xorg and graphics card configuration files are deleted.
Customized configuration files are never deleted, not even if you complete remove the packages that required them.

It may be your drm module that doesn't load anymore because of the discrepancy of versions between 14.0 and 14.1.
That's what I suspect too.

rupeshforu3 build graphics/drm-kmod from ports. You will notice it will actually install graphics/drm-61-kmod. On 14.0 it would have installed graphics/drm-515-kmod. The 6.1 version of the DRM driver only works on 14.1 or higher. Packages on the FreeBSD repository servers are still being built for 14.0, this is not a problem for the majority of packages but usually does cause problems with specific kernel modules (like the DRM driver).

Hi I have downloaded freebsd 14.1 release and installed freshly from the starting and I hope that nothing goes wrong in the future.

I have installed upto five desktop environments and everything is working fine.

I have downloaded freebsd 14.1 release and installed freshly from the starting and I hope that nothing goes wrong in the future.
This isn't Windows. You don't need to reinstall the entire OS if you somehow screwed up with ports/packages. One of the biggest advantages of FreeBSD is the strict separation of the "base OS" and third party software (ports/packages). You can simply delete all installed packages; pkg delete -a. Remove (and/or backup) any leftover configuration files from /usr/local/etc/ and start "fresh".

This isn't Windows. You don't need to reinstall the entire OS if you somehow screwed up with ports/packages. One of the biggest advantages of FreeBSD is the strict separation of the "base OS" and third party software (ports/packages). You can simply delete all installed packages; pkg delete -a. Remove (and/or backup) any leftover configuration files from /usr/local/etc/ and start "fresh".
That looks a likely solution to my problem, which is I cannot upgrade in the normal way from 13.2 to 13.3. I just a blank screen (graphics) screen and no escape.
So can you elaborate on how to "start fresh", or point me at some resources, please? Many thanks as always.

Back