Freebsd with a graphical desktop on a raspberry Pi 2b

Hi,
I've installed FreeBSD arm7 13.2 on my raspberry pi 2b, curretnly working in text mode without a graphical front. I've watched a video about installing a graphical desktop on a raspberry pi 4 running FreeBSD, which in many respects was very interesting. However my question is whether it would be practical to install XFCE on a raspberry pi 2b, which is obviously much slower and more restrictive in terms of its hardware?

Regards

How much memory does thingie have again? 512 MB?
Hi,
It's got 1Gb of ram. I've previously had a beta version of Xubuntu working reasonably well on the Pi 2 however I'm relatively uninformed about the workings of FreeBSD. I think it could work although not exceptionally well. I'm wondering if the steps in the case of a Pi 4 might work for a Pi 2.

Steve

You may also wn
t to give something like Common Desktop Environment a will as it was originally designed for instances where the machines that it was run on ran light as far as resources are concerned as compared to a modern desktop or even a reasonably spaced modern ThinkPad. It was very popular back in the eighties and early nineties, when computer memory was still pretty expensive
however on I performance, restricted platforms like a raspberry Pi 2b even cde might not run very well.

however on I performance, restricted platforms like a raspberry Pi 2b even cde might not run very well.
I doubt it, a Pi 2B may be a weak machine by today's standards but it still has a quad-core 900MHz CPU and 1GB RAM, which you could only have dreamed of back in the early 1990s.

OK, but in early 1990s the video was not 1920x1080x4bytes(32-bit) = 8MB. Pi2 will work fine with 800x600 and 16-bit color.

Back