FreeBSD wiki whine

ShelLuser

Son of Beastie

It is very difficult to take this seriously, this is not the standard I kind of expected:

1533848938373.png

Still going to push through to try and get an account because I think I can do a lot of good here. But I wil be honest: this de-motivates pretty badly.

xtremae

For anything other than drive-by contributions, i think the current implementation is quite common and certainly preferable.
Forum accounts should be separate from infra.

OP
OP
ShelLuser

ShelLuser

Son of Beastie

I think 2 people seriously miss the point here.

Don't you guys notice anything weird about my screenshot up there? :-/

sidetone

Aspiring Daemon

Don't you guys notice anything weird about my screenshot up there? :-/
The Green lock is good, firstname lastname is ok, because it's an example to use two words.

The reCaptcha: version 1 is shut down. Direct site owners go to ...

They've asked for editing permissions to the Wiki on the FreeBSD-Doc mailing list. They've mentioned the captcha was broken, and it told them to ask there.

drhowarddrfine

Son of Beastie

The FreeBSD.org site is very antiquated in its web presentation, both design-wise and frontend code-wise. A while back, I offered to look into fixing that up but was told the backend code that generates the HTML is, for the lack of a word that wasn't used, difficult to change. I tried a CSS-only solution to the presentation but it's a mess of a HTML document structure. I wasn't willing to do that much work for free.

Note the word "wasn't". News by the end of the month.

Trihexagonal

Daemon

The FreeBSD.org site is very antiquated in its web presentation, both design-wise and frontend code-wise. A while back, I offered to look into fixing that up but was told the backend code that generates the HTML is, for the lack of a word that wasn't used, difficult to change. I tried a CSS-only solution to the presentation but it's a mess of a HTML document structure.
A Professional website that is home to a Professional Operating System should not have a website that is anything less. Let alone one with download links that overlap or does not scale down to size properly. It does not convey professionalism.

For someone new to FreeBSD I would speculate their first thought would be "If their website is in this condition, can the OS be any better?"

The Debian website scales down correctly without links overlapping. I would be embarrassed and appalled that mine didn't and make it a top priority.

I have already made site recommendations, so I'll make another one and recommend getting rid of whatever program you're using to generate your markup and hire someone professional, perhaps drhowarddrfine, to do it right. So it is valid code, too. It fails now.

It is the FreeBSD 25th Anniversary. What better time to do it, or worse time to look bad?

Datapanic

I run a couple websites that I setup with recaptcha v1 and before recaptcha v2 even existed and it was painful to migrate the authentication pages to recaptcha 2 but not impossible, especially since there was about 18 months to do it in.
No excuse for the FreeBSD wiki site to be such a piece of crap.
Pure laziness.

Datapanic

Okay Doc, then what do you call it when warning emails from Google sent to registered users of v1 about v1 coming to an end at least 6 months and probably a year before it actually ended back in March 2018? Blow it off until it doesn't work anymore is bad programmer attitude. I'll change my words. Scratch Laziness, subject the negli___ word.

drhowarddrfine

Son of Beastie

Datapanic How about nobody is available that has the time to do that. Or there is nobody monitoring that or knew it was important enough to warrant action. Or you didn't volunteer to monitor it and that's why it didn't happen.