freebsd-update vs building?

I am setting up a new 8.2-RELEASE system on amd64. In the past I have only upgraded via sources but I am tempted by the binary freebsd-update system. I am not intent on wringing every last bit of performance out of the system with optimizations, it's already more powerful than it needs to be and I am happy to waste some computer power if it makes my life a little easier. :)

If I can load ipnat and ipfw without modifying the GENERIC kernel it seems like a real no-brainer. (I'll have to research that--been a long time since I set up a new system.)

If I understand what I have read correctly, it's important to use EITHER freebsd-update OR compiling from source but not both. In this case do I even need the source tree on disk if I use the GENERIC kernel?

Thanks!

It is a misconception that you cannot use freebsd-update together with a customised kernel. Just put the GENERIC kernel in /boot/GENERIC, and freebsd-update will happily maintain it for you. Put your custom kernel in /boot/kernel and manually rebuild it from the sources updated by the freebsd-update process (which is an option - see 'Components' in freebsd-update.conf(5)).

Back