FreeBSD update questions

If I run freebsd-update() and all the required files are not downloaded do they get stored in /var/db/freebsd-update and get used in a subsequent re-run? ie does this directory serve as a cache?

If that is the case, can I subsequently run freebsd-update -d /mnt/var/db/freebsd-update to update a different system using the same files?

From the manual page:

/var/db/freebsd-update/ Default location where freebsd-update stores temporary files, downloaded updates, and files required for rollback. All files under /var/db/freebsd-update/ may be deleted if an upgrade is not in progress and rollback will not be required.

If I recall correctly, having the same file set on a different system (with the same update requirement) will not prevent the different system from downloading the same set.

There's an old document in the portal, Build Your Own FreeBSD Update Server.

From the manual page:

If I recall correctly, having the same file set on a different system (with the same update requirement) will not prevent the different system from downloading the same set.

There's an old document in the portal, Build Your Own FreeBSD Update Server.
I've spent many hours looking at https://docs.freebsd.org/en/articles/freebsd-update-server/ but have yet to figure it out properly...

AIUI I thought /var/db/freebsd-update could be viewed as a cache directory. I've never really understood what files are held there.

freebsd-update is just a big shell script, so you can look at the source of it quite easily.

/usr/sbin/freebsd-update

A complicated, 3,500 line script, mind you, but not scattered over a lot of source files.

freebsd-update is just a big shell script, so you can look at the source of it quite easily.

/usr/sbin/freebsd-update

A complicated, 3,500 line script, mind you, but not scattered over a lot of source files.
Complicated... is an understatement.

I can look at it quite easily ;) ... but following it is a different matter.

I wonder if it could be written in org-babel-tangle...

Back