FreeBSD RPI 3?

Hello,

I am wondering if you any of you have had a positive experience with FreeBSD on the Pi 3?

What are boot times like?

Thank you.

Here is how with a usb sd card writer on da0:

Code:
pkg install u-boot-rpi3
pkg install aarch64-binutils
git clone https://github.com/freebsd/crochet /crochet
cd /crochet
./crochet.sh -b RaspberryPi3
cd /crochet/work
dd if=FreeBSD-aarch64-12-GENERIC-UP.img of=/dev/da0 bs=10240 conv=sync

Got a board this week and built an image as above. Worked as expected. Took 3-4 hours to compile ARM64 for the first time under crochet.
Trying to get an DS3231 RTC working now.
Code:
root@rpi3:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD rpi3 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0: Fri Nov 18 20:03:30 EST 2016     root@Testing:/crochet/work/obj/arm64.aarch64/usr/src/sys/GENERIC-UP  arm64

I tried writing my crochet disk image to a usb stick and it would not boot. I understand RPi3 allows USB booting.

I see the kernel is UP meaning uni-processor. There are two kernconf files for the RPi3-ARM64 GENERIC and GENERIC-UP so maybe just a matter of using the other kernel conf file.

Yes, checking RaspBSD, the RPI3 img is all good, i am interested in building a Pi-Top with a RPI3, i think it would be awesome for mobile development, and its modular, so when there is eventually a RPI4, 5 or 6, i can pop it in and it will be even more powerful.

Good day.
Please tell me when the planned new assembly, which will eliminate the problem with hanging RPI3 after entering commands to reboot the device?

Yes I do see the same thing. Shows syncing disk then debug output and uptime. Last message is Rebooting and it hangs.

On Arm shutdown and reboot is handled differently.
If you look at this Beaglebone commit for adding shutdown to FreeBSD11 you can see some of the issues.
PMIC is the power management controller and plays a part in shutdown and reboot.
I am sure with time this will get fixed on RPi3..

Anybody try Gonzo's Multiprocessor RPI3 Kernel yet?
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2016-November/015092.html

I tried to what is proposed in the mail. Everything worked out. The system reboots remotely. Thank you.

I'm just now attempting this, as I'd like to run a better suited embedded OS on the PI than Linux. I've since enabled the firmware fuses on the boards that are suppose to allow USB boot. I burned an image FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img to a USB stick and attempt to boot, but no joy.

Does the default uboot provide USB booting? is an option required in config.txt? the uboot multipage manual is a poor resource for finding specific things as it is multipage, and not a single page document.

Does it provide a serial console UBOOT splash screen?

On power-up the PI power light comes on and the USB flashes for about 0.75 seconds...then nothing.

No monitor or keyboard is attached and wireshark indicates no traffic (ARP/DHCP/etc) from the board.

Thoughts?

Hello,

I am wondering if you any of you have had a positive experience with FreeBSD on the Pi 3?

What are boot times like?

Thank you.
The current image works fine in general, but wifi and bluetooth won't work since either sdio support is not finished or it's finished but we still need the driver, please correct me if I'm wrong, didn't used FreeBSD for a while on my RPI3.

I burned an image FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-320146M.img to a USB stick and attempt to boot, but no joy.
You are using the wrong image. You want this one:
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/sn...NT-arm64-aarch64-RPI3-20180329-r331740.img.xz
The image you quoted is from -CURRENT over 9 months ago.

Does the default uboot provide USB booting?
I have not heard of anyone booting off usb on Arm.

Does it provide a serial console UBOOT splash screen?
Yes. Infact this is the only way to see the uboot messages. Since it starts before FreeBSD none of its output is in dmesg.
I have been messing with DT overlays and the only way to verify they have loaded correctly is to watch the output from uboot.

Back