general/other FreeBSD + qemu+ kvm + nested virtualization support

Hello. I would ask you some questions :

1) what's the latest Freebsd version able to support qemu + kvm ? I read that kvm has been removed on 2016,so it should be 10 or 11. It was also able to support nested virtualization ?

thanks.

Unfortunately there's no KVM support for qemu on FreeBSD.

Edit: to see what acceleration you have built in (not necessarily available afaik) you can do qemu-system-x86_64 -accel help. Assuming you want to run x86 guest.

but here : https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/BSD
you can read by yourself :

kqemu on BSD​

FreeBSD

Note: the kqemu-kmod port was removed in 2016 with the following comment:

> The are broken on recent FreeBSD, they are not supported by any qemu version, they do not build with recent binutils (2.27)

So,if I get a FreeBSD version that has been produced before 2016,I will find kqemu-kmod. that's right ?

Well nothing from 2016 is supported anymore so that'll be tough luck. Not sure you'd gain much from that either (security risks excluded). You triggered a small flashback in my head though -- I do remember installing vmware3 on FreeBSD and I liked it. FreeBSD 5 or 6 it was ? Don't remember..

If you do need some sort of acceleration I'd stick with bhyve or VirtualBox on FreeBSD. And I'm saying that as very big fan of qemu.
Personally on machines where I need accelerated qemu I chose Linux.

During the years I've switched slowly from Windows to Linux and from Linux to FreeBSD. Sure,there are OSes with which I can do some tasks faster and easier than others and I could use them. But If I'm able to learn and to configure very well the OS that I like more (at the moment is FreeBSD) I think that I can do everything only with it. I want to use Linux rarely,because I prefer the simplicity to complications. I can accept a certain amount of complications only if they correspond to the activation of certain features that I particularly love to have. I don't like VirtualBOX. Bhyve is better. At the moment qemu+kvm on Linux is the better choice,but bhyve is almost comparable.

Code:
# qemu-system-x86_64 -accel help

Accelerators supported in QEMU binary:
tcg

:(

Back