FreeBSD Performance

picatchumm said:
Why is FreeBSD's performance slower than Linux's?
Your link says FreeBSD is slower than ScientificLinux in mmap performance with PostgreSQL only. It does NOT say FreeBSD is slower than Linux. In fact, in more cases than this one, FreeBSD is faster than Linux.

Odd to be testing a KDE desktop machine for Apache serving, the situation where PC-BSD was a clear winner.

In general it's a wash (Linux is faster at some things, FreeBSD is faster at others).

Unless you have a requirement for full throughput from your hardware in a particular workload, it's irrelevant really. Most people's machines aren't that busy.

If that is the case, you should benchmark both using your application first and take your pick.

However, other factors are in my opinion, more relevant for deciding between the two platforms.

• GNU vs traditional unix tools (command line arguments differ on some programs, as does behaviour
  • Closely integrated "core" OS vs. whatever random collection of GNU tools the Linux distribution decides is its "base" install
  • ZFS vs. BTFRS
  • iptables (linux) vs. pf/ipfw/ipf
  • Security history - FreeBSD tends to have far fewer vulnerabilities, and additionally your average FreeBSD server has far less software installed to get a particular job done as only a small selection of software is included in the base install.
  • Commercial application support - if your vendor supports Linux but not FreeBSD in my opinion it is a no-brainer. Use the supported platform. You don't need to be making closed-source third party application problems YOUR problem. Even if it "works" today, there's nothing to say that the vendor won't make some change to break the application on FreeBSD, or that FreeBSD may change and break something the application depends on. And then you're screwed. Call the vendor: they won't care, unless the application is running on a supported platform.

Bear in mind also performance WILL differ from release to release (even within a Linux distribution) as the compiler(s) change.

I agree. I use FreeBSD for a future web server (with jails and PF and ZFS). With this stack:

FrontEnd: AngularJS Framework

BackEnd :
Server Rest: Node.JS
Cache & more: Redis server
Database: http://www.elasticsearch.org

In my usage the important is I/O packets.

I have broken my server in the past with Debian, after upgrading this.

(sorry for my English)

Back