Solved FreeBSD on Windows Server 2012 Hypervisor

Hello guys,

my school has a HP Proliant Server with Windows Server 2012 as type 1 Hypervisor.

I want introduce my students to the FreeBSD OS.

Can you teel me the way to install FreeBSD on Windows Server 2012 so that the PCs Lab can be used as FreeBSD terminals ?

Thanks very much in advance.

FreeBSD 11.2 works fine under Hyper-V on Windows 2012 (apart from losing network connectivity after VM save & restore, because of restarts following Windows Updates). Download installation media (ISO), create a new VM, install from the disc image.

You can also boot FreeBSDs on lab PCs from a USB flash drive, or, if they run Windows, you can install openssh from Add/Remove Features (not sure if that is available on all Windows versions), use PuTTY for ssh client, CYGWIN for ssh/X11 client, Xming also work pretty well, most of the time.

Would you be more specific?

Would you be more specific?

Hello Bobi,
thanks very much .... I'll create a VM, then I'll install the FreeBSD from the disc image.

Please, can you tell me how can I open a FreeBSD terminal from a PC Lab (all PC in the Lab are Windows 10 machine).

Thenks very much.

I apologize for this question but it's the first time I'm engaged in this topic. Again thanks.

Please, can you tell me how can I open a FreeBSD terminal from a PC Lab (all PC in the Lab are Windows 10 machine).
He did. Install PuTTY on Windows.
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html
Features (not sure if that is available on all Windows versions), use PuTTY for ssh client,

If the Windows 10 boxes have a serial port you can also use PuTTY for that connection instead of a SSH session.
You can run PuTTY from a thumbdrive if the machine is locked down. See the "Alternative binary files" downloads for portable use.

And if you mean the VM console, it should be no different from any other OS; check Hyper-V documentation (I don't know how exactly you are supposed to do this other than using Hyper-V Manager).

You can connect to your FreeBSD VM from Hyper-V Manager: double-click VM to open Virtual Machine Connection: hyper-v-vmconnection.png

PuTTY is an application, providing serial console + telnet + ssh client on Windows; hence, using PuTTY you can connect to any OS, running a ssh server: putty.png

Here is openssh from Microsoft (frankly don't remember how I installed it): ssh-in-windows-cmd-console.png

Here is Xming (X11 Server for Windows) in action: xming-emacs-roxterm-conky.png

Which one would you like more information about? PuTTY and ssh are ssh clients. Xming allows you to run X11 (graphical user interface) applications on the Unix host, but to see and interact with their user interface from the Windows host.

BTW I don't use PuTTY nor ssh on Windows. I use Xming to run roxterm on a nearby Debian box and do most of my everyday tasks from there. I also highly depend on Emacs ability to edit files on remote hosts, via ssh (a feature, that, sadly, I was unable to successfully use on Windows' version of Emacs), as well as compiling projects on remote hosts.

Back