FreeBSD on Intel Compute Stick ???

Alexander88207

Aspiring Daemon

I have a small laptop that has almost the same hardware as the stick, so it should not be a problem.

But would me interest too.

tuaris

I have one of these that I bought for no reason at all... I didn't know you could install an OS on them.
EDIT: Never mind, mine is a Neural Compute Stick, which appears to be a totally different thing.

Phishfry

Beastie's Twin

Its worth a try but I thought I would throw this out there.
The Z3735 processor used on these had a weird setup.
Many used a 32-Bit UEFI instead of the normal 64 bit UEFI firmware.
So FreeBSD never supported the 32 bit UEFI. So that will not work.

When I looked at the compute stick I see this statement on a support page.
"Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC only supports 32-bit based Operating Systems."
So it looks like that particular stick probably uses 32 bit UEFI.
Maybe there are other models other than STCK1A32WFC that will work with FreeBSD.
It is just a mini computer so it should work. The BIOS (32 Bit or 64 bit UEFI) is the sticking point.
The CPU is fully 64 bit but some manufacturers used 32-bit UEFI for the firmware. Maybe it was cheaper?

trev

Aspiring Daemon

There were Apple computers (not Mac minis, I think it was Mac Pros) that had 64 bit processors and 32 bit (U?)EFI and somewhere on the Forum there was a way to boot FreeBSD on them. So, all may not be lost.

Phishfry

Beastie's Twin

There was a Intel Compute Stick 2 but I wonder about it looking at the comments here.

"There is an option to choose between a 32 and 64-bit OS in case you want to install a 64-bit OS, make sure to change this and perhaps other settings if you are going to install a fresh OS instead of the included Windows 10 32-bit."
So maybe 32 bit Windows had something to do with the 32-bit UEFI that was used.

richardtoohey2

Aspiring Daemon

They might be a bit of dead end, though, if Intel stopped making them in 2020? Maybe a fun project for those so inclined, but no real long-term future. But think some of us are talking about the Compute Stick 1 and some of us are talking about the Compute Stick 2.

tingo

Son of Beastie

There were Apple computers (not Mac minis, I think it was Mac Pros) that had 64 bit processors and 32 bit (U?)EFI and somewhere on the Forum there was a way to boot FreeBSD on them. So, all may not be lost.
Apple's EFI is different from UEFI. Very different.