Solved FreeBSD on Apple Silicon

Thanks for that pointer!
Interestingly, when I searched the forum before posting my question, I got no hits at all.
Searching for M1 -the obvious choice, returned:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common.
Searching for M1 chip returned hundreds of unrelated results, under a heading that says:
Search results for query: M1 chip
The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: M1
So, essentially it just searched for chip.
It would be interesting to actually perform a search on the forum contents and see how much hit it would produce NOT related to Apple's M1 chip. Then show it to the person who decided that something 2-characters long cannot be relevant or accurate. :(

I got no hits at all.
Searching for M1 -the obvious choice, returned:
Because the forums search is limited to a three character string.

See discussion

I've got FreeBSD 13.2 running inside VMWare Fusion Pro 13 on an M1 Max Mac Studio, and it all seems to work nicely. This is running on top of macOS 13.4.

Edit: I installed FreeBSD from the ISO.

Has anybody here tried FreeBSD 13.0 on an M1 Mac?
I wonder how it works. Any experience to share?
I have installed FreeBSD 12.4 and 13.2 using UTM (in MBA M2 Apple Silicon)
I just installed aarch64 simple configuration just to analyze if FreeBSD will run...

I didn't try install or use these FreeBSD as a real vm with freebsd applications....
Just installed try to ping ....and it works...

But while idle FreeBSD I noticed that Qemulauncher process responsible for VM creates load ~200% CPU on my Apple Silicon M2

I added this line: kern.hz=100 in /boot/loader.conf
and now runs perfectly.

1691604918906.png
1691605912751.png

I have installed FreeBSD 12.4 and 13.2 using UTM (in MBA M2 Apple Silicon)
I added this line: kern.hz=100 in /boot/loader.conf
and now runs perfectly.
Things are very promising now.
And the kern.hz trick is very useful to know. Thanks for sharing!
With Asahi Linux now being able to be installed and run directly on Apple Silicon hardware, and seeing reports that FreeBSD aarch64 works in UTM, it may soon be possible to run it directly on hw too. I expect difficulties to get booting done right, probably a few more special area, but we are eventually getting there.

I had FreeBSD running on an M1 via UTM as Cromulent mentioned. If I recall, it supported few video modes and full-screen wasn't an option for me.

Back