Solved FreeBSD Installer problem with FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE

Hello,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE with USB memstick. I get this error:

Code:
Distribution extract failed
An installation step has been aborted. Would you like to restart the installation or exit the installer?

How can I solve this problem?

Hi.

This sometimes happens when there are read/write errors happening on the flash drive or the hard drive being installed on. Have you tried using another USB Flash drive?

You could also try using a USB 2.0 port if you were using a 3.0 port. USB 3.0 on FreeBSD is still a bit buggy sometimes depending on the hardware being used.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I tried with brand new USB Flash Drive and brand new hard drive and nothing changed. It maybe related with hardware support as you say. I installed the FreeBSD with CDROM successfully. So, I've marked the thread as solved.

Interesting thing is that, the first hard drive I tried is unusable now. I was using FreeBSD with UFS for years since FreeBSD 4. The very first time, I wanted to try ZFS and geli(8) this time with installer's automatic guided partitioning. I got the same error and first with ZFS and geli(8). Than I changed my mind and try UFS partitioning and I was still getting the same error. So I opened this thread.

After opening this thread, I tried with another USB flash drive and another hard drive with UFS. The result was same. But my first drive which I tried to partition with ZFS and geli(8) is gone away. No more usable. I don't know, maybe it's just a coincidence. But I was using this failed hard drive with FreeBSD 10.0 just before trying this installation and it was working like a charm without any error.

Do you think is it possible that this partitioning may caused the hard drive to fail? Just wondering your thoughts.

Best Regards.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I tried with brand new USB Flash Drive and brand new hard drive and nothing changed. It maybe related with hardware support as you say. I installed the FreeBSD with CDROM successfully. So, I've marked the thread as solved.

Interesting thing is that, the first hard drive I tried is unusable now. I was using FreeBSD with UFS for years since FreeBSD 4. The very first time, I wanted to try ZFS and geli(8) this time with installer's automatic guided partitioning. I got the same error and first with ZFS and geli(8). Than I changed my mind and try UFS partitioning and I was still getting the same error. So I opened this thread.

After opening this thread, I tried with another USB flash drive and another hard drive with UFS. The result was same. But my first drive which I tried to partition with ZFS and geli(8) is gone away. No more usable. I don't know, maybe it's just a coincidence. But I was using this failed hard drive with FreeBSD 10.0 just before trying this installation and it was working like a charm without any error.

Do you think is it possible that this partitioning may caused the hard drive to fail? Just wondering your thoughts.

Best Regards.
Are you sure the drive is actually dead? You can't kill a hard drive by partitioning alone. If the drive is actually toast, it's much more likely it was already on it's last leg and the installation just finished it off because of the disk I/O involved.

Back