FreeBSD Installed.....But System Boot To Terminal - Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp Please :-(

Good Evening,

I have been looking to break free from the increasing restrictions imposed by the Microsoft suite of operating systems. As a result I descided to give FreeBSD a quick !! try. Unfortunatly since this is my first attempt at loading a non-windows operating environment - I'm finding it rather confusing [I think that since the home page of BSD implies it should be rather stright forward I must be missing a number of tricks]. Having dumped the iso files onto 3 CD's [which Is a pain in itself - having to keep swapping CD's over] I then installed what I thought were all the correct packages, but alas this does not seem to be the case since when I exit the installer and re-boot I'm immediatly asked to log in via a terminal [i.e. text mode]. I try startx - that fails, also KDE does not work. Have I missed something ?

-or-

does a basic step by step for dummies guide exist to get a basic KGE -or- GNOME configuration up and running - I guess I can install/configure further packages/applications though tools from these environments.

Thank You

Regards

Paul

paulm2008 said:
does a basic step by step for dummies guide exist to get a basic KGE -or- GNOME configuration up and running - ..
The learning curve can be nearly vertical the first time you install FreeBSD. Your own skill set, desire and persistence for slogging through it all can help to flatten the curve, but in the meantime, you might find that PC-BSD will give you a quicker UNIX fix that you crave.

:e

http://www.pcbsd.org

John

tangram said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I did simply read through the handbook entry, but to no avail. I received a system error message of the form : hardware device not found on PCI. I'm using an old 8800GTX running on the PCI-e x 16 slot on an Nvidia Srtiker II formula Motherboard Bios Revision 1901. I think there may be some hardware compatibility issue. I will have a GOOGLE to see if there are any other instances of the problem I'm encountering.

Regards and thank you for your time, Paul.

johnblue said:
The learning curve can be nearly vertical the first time you install FreeBSD. Your own skill set, desire and persistence for slogging through it all can help to flatten the curve, but in the meantime, you might find that PC-BSD will give you a quicker UNIX fix that you crave.

:e

http://www.pcbsd.org

John

Thank You - This appears to be the perfect quick fix. I intended to give the environment a try before spending the necesary hours required to elevate my knowledge above Novice - But some basic's are an obvious prerequisit - Cheers, Paul.

Very funny :e
Some time ago I got even better help: a link to full UNIX course for sysadmins :e Guess where it happened? At PCBSD forum!
Oh, boy... why that one? Why not Ubuntu? They have excellent forum. Simply the best.
By the way my friend and I are now trying to compile such "guide for newbies" based on (of course!) Handbook and some personal experience. I just dropped him a link to this thread...
Well... Paul, I'm ready to try helping.
Are you still around?

OP-

Try this:

-Log on as 'Root'
type this:

cd /usr/bin

type this

kdm

Now, if your installation process included stuff for a Graphical User Interface, it should start up
(FYI- if it starts, it'll be the KDE - which needs the 'X11' *stuff from your install.

* X11 is some type of 'X Windows'.... jsut if you want to Google on it.

Hello, and thank you for all your time spent in providing useful information. I took the option posted by johnblue [Thank You], and downloaded a copy of the PC-BSD iso. With no problems what so ever I managed to install the o/s and now have a functional unix o/s with a KDE front end. I have an additional issue installing software however, in that the port communication scheme employed by BSD to access third party software does not seem to talking to my PC. Clearly I will have to rummage around the internet to look for solutions to this issue. However I at least have a basic operating system installed [which is a good start point] - once the port comm's issue is corrected [I'm sure it is something trivial] I can look at compiling/installing additional software packages.

I could even go back the the basic BSD installation, with the increased knowledge I will be able to configure this o/s to my system requirements.

Regards, Paul.

Back