Solved FreeBSD Install on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M81

Hi,

Very new to FreeBSD and general OS shenanigans so please forgive me if I haven't provided enough info in this post or my formatting is wrong.

I have installed FreeBSD successfully on a very old 32bit Laptop for fun and also on a spare SDD drive in my gaming computer without too many issues, but I wanted a more permanent system so I bought a Lenovo ThinkCenter M81 and tried installing FreeBSD 12.2, but the computer locks up just after Bootloader menu....

These are my hardware details..
Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 - Updated to the latest BIOS
CPU i3-2130 3.4GHz
4Gb Ram
250Gb HDD
Built in GFx

I downloaded "FreeBSD-12.2-RELEASE-amd64-mini-memstick.img" and used Win32Diskimager on a 16Gb USB disk. The computer boots to the loader menu, I hit 1. Boot Multi User but then a few lines down the machine locks up (Or sometimes reboots). See Picture.

IMG_3368.JPG

Hope it ok to post this picture?

I tried booting in safe mode with the same result.

I tried another USB stick with the same result.

Now, I am aware that there is With Lenovos involving the UEFI in refusing to boot particular OS’s as mentioned here.. But I'm not sure if this relates to my problem or if it does how exactly do I go about solving it. (If I even can?)

Many thanks in advance for your help and again sorry if my formatting is off, I haven't included enough info or posting images is a big no no.

Cheers

Mark

Back