FreeBSD freeze on reboot

Hi,

Everything works fine when I boot, but each time I reboot the system hangs there:
Code:
usbus0: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus1: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus2: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus3: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0
usbus4: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus5: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus6: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus7: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0

I use FreeBSD 9-STABLE.

Freeze permanently!

I think it is ACPI related but I'm not sure. When I try to reboot without ACPI the system panic en reboot.

I remove as much as I can from /boot/loader.conf and went back to the original /etc/sysctl.conf and now the system freezes probably 1 out of 3!

I'm pretty sure after listing the USB ports it tries detecting and loading drivers for anything plugged into any of the ports. Is there something plugged in that might be causing problems?

No nothing is plugged into the computer! Looks like it's not just on reboot. It froze this morning when I tried to boot it!

I will try booting with my old kernel.

I try to rebuild my kernel and the same problem still exist. The RELEASE 9 kernel works fine every time.

The only thing I have different in my stable kernel is that I use
Code:
CPUTYPE?=native
in /etc/make.conf.

Tweaks like those are, AFAIK, unnecessary any more. Maybe you get lucky with a CTRL+T at the freeze time. This can shed a bit more light into what's going on in the background. If this does not work, you can try booting verbose (at the first screen, drop to the shell and do boot -v - if memory serves well).

I do believe however that recompiling your kernel without that option in make.conf will solve your problem.

PS: What's the reason behind the CPUTYPE option in make.conf? Is FreeBSD unable to correctly detect your CPU?
PS2: Do you have anything in src.conf?

I will try that option.

So far I tried recompiling without it and the problem still exist. I tried building it on an other system and the same thing happen. The only one that boot every time without problem is the original RELEASE. I even try rebuilding release and the problem happen again! Very strange.

I was using CPUTYPE?=native because I just had a false idea that my system would be more optimize. My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo so the kernel has no problem detecting it!

Thanks for the help!

When I boot verbose the system give a little more info, it hang there:
Code:
acpi_acad0: On Line
acpi_acad0: acline initialization done tried 1 times

This is what I have the courage to note by hand. The dmesg log was cleaned when I reboot.

My problem still exists and I discovered something I didn't notice at first in dmesg:
Code:
CPU0: local APIC error 0x40

Can it be a cause of the freeze problem?

Not sure but you can try booting with APIC disabled. You have an option at the boot screen to boot with APIC disabled. If that solves it, maybe you can post on the mailing lists as the devs hang out there more than here (so to speak).

[cmd=]set hint.apic.0.disabled="1"[/cmd] after you drop to the shell at the boot screen. Then: [cmd=]boot -v[/cmd]

It's worse!

The kernel panics and the system reboots. I have the same result if I disable ACPI or APIC. I have the same result also if I try to boot in safe mode.

I'm really starting to like the loader prompt! It's very handy to correct all the stuff I can break!

Or power supply, or RAM. If it randomly locks up, that does suggest hardware error. Test with memtest. If that passes, test with another operating system.

Back