FreeBSD forums doesn't work with firefox

I looked for a relevant thread but didn't see one. As a 20 years user and contributor of FreeBSD I occasionally have problems with new changes and search for answers here.

I use Firefox and have tried this site many times in the past year and with Firefox the whole screen is smushed into the right menu pane, even on the login and reset password screens. Don't know how else to describe it, but I can't read anything here with Firefox.

It may be a Firefox issue but it only happens on this site with Firefox with Windows 10, FreeBSD, and various favors of Linux. Usually I just give up and search for answers elsewhere but today tried Edge and Chrome on Windows 10 and they do work. A fix would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I use Firefox and have tried this site many times in the past year and with Firefox the whole screen is smushed into the right menu pane, even on the login and reset password screens. Don't know how else to describe it, but I can't read anything here with Firefox.
I doubt your issues are caused by Firefox itself, especially not for that amount of time. Many more people would have complained about it. So my guess it's something on your side. Perhaps a proxy you're using? Firefox plugin perhaps?

It may be a Firefox issue but it only happens on this site with Firefox with Windows 10
Works just fine with 84.0.2 on Windows 10. Previous versions of Firefox have worked fine too.
FreeBSD, and various favors of Linux.
Works fine there too.

No problem with firefox on FreeBSD-12.2-RELEASE or CURRENT, CentOS-8, and probably, at some point a few other things as I've been playing with a new laptop and installing then deinstalling. One thing to try is using firefox in safe mode and seeing if the problem still exists. You can do that with
firefox -safe-mode
This starts it without any extensions and can help determine if it's something in your profile. If it works in safe mode, then you can try removing your profile and adding extensions one by one and seeing if any of them break it.

the whole screen is smushed into the right menu pane,
Yes, this happens here too, but only when A) I am not yet logged in and B) zoom is set >100. (Firefox-esr as of current quarter's portstree. And we have no windows here.)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Right pane ... the whole web page is squashed into a ~ 150px wide space on the right site of the browser, looks like a layer or borderless frame, and only on this site. Didn't look at the page source. But, as I explain below seems to be working now.

I have 6 machines at home. Four refurbished hp compaq 6005 pro small form factor where I had this problem. FreeBSD boot loader doesn't work on those, and I last night I thought maybe it was machine/windows specific. Today I tried on the two older machines with Budgie, FreeBSD, and NomadBSD and the problem disappeared. I can't test with Windows on those, no product key. Even stranger though now it disappeared on the 6005 model both with Windows 10 and Budgie. So please disregard. I have other issues with Xorg configuration with Raedon and/or built in GPU and followed any instructions I could find. No luck getting higher than 1024x768 resolution, but that would be another thread. Thanks!

Interesting suggestion, I usually have my zoom set to > 100% .. but setting it back to 100% while on the page and reloading didn't resolve the situation. But you may be right, might be a zoom issue.

Right pane ... the whole web page is squashed into a ~ 150px wide space on the right site of the browser, looks like a layer or borderless frame, and only on this site. Didn't look at the page source. But, as I explain below seems to be working now.
There is an on-hover-dropdown menu right below the graphical header. It runs from "Home" ... "Foundation".
The mentioned 'right pane' attaches sharp to the right border of this menu. The issue appers to be that this 'right pane' (which then contains the whole of the forum) is a flex with position:relative; - which is probably not the best positioning here.

Then, when I am logged in to the forum, the whole graphical header AND that menu are entirely gone, and only the forum with it's own small graphical header is visible. So the issue cannot exist any more.

Furthermore: here the issue only appears when preferences have checked "Zoom text only".

FWIW, I could reproduce the error on Android, Firefox 84.1.4, "Menu -> Desktop site" setting, on phone and tablet (I have no PC based system at hand at the moment to verify if the cause is the same there).

Maybe the GUI environments font size (or Firefox's font size) could be responsible for tripping the described view.

On Android, the larger the system font size is set, in Firefox, the page content is pushed further to the right edge of the page, compressed into a narrow column.

Huge system font size:

20210118_161838.png

Medium:

20210118_161904.png
Small:

20210118_161944.png

Yes. This is the same issue I noted in the link along with where the problem lies. It's not your browser or anything to do with FreeBSD.

EDIT: I see I didn't properly insert my URI in my earlier post. Fixed.

Back