FreeBSD for phone/tablet

D

deadmorozz

Hi,

I checked many different OS that are now popular, take a look at Sailfish, but none has similar feeling to FreeBSD. When it will work?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

When it will work?
Tomorrow. Next week. Next year. Never. Who knows? Just look at the Raspberry Pi for example. The Pi4 still needs a lot of work, and that's supposed to be an "open" platform. Imagine how much work needs to be done for completely closed devices like phones or tablets. Without documentation, without schematics, without specifications, without vendor support.

k3y5

This is something I would really like to get involved in (the development of a BSD OS for mobile). I'm currently skilling up on C in order to do so.

OP
D

deadmorozz

Blackberry OS seems to be the most similar to what you would want

Elazar

Maybe at some point we will see FreeBSD on a pinephone.

k3y5

Now I know this is a BSD forum, but if anyone is looking for a good secure mobile. I would recommend Armadillo Phone (secure alternative) , but this may be a bit overkill for most. I've been very happy with them, and if you drop extra coin you can get a "ghost," chip. My company was nice enough to purchase one for me. They're pricy to say the least.

Hakaba

As tablet / mobile is a larger market than desktop / laptop, we probably saw a FreeBSD tablet one day.
On a tablet, there is no real gui for file managment, all application has one window. The window is fullscreen...
That is an real oppotunity to have simplified interface...
On my laptop, I use neomutt in dwm and a sxiv script as a launcher. It is very light and there is only few fustration (keyboard shortcut are problematic in tablet).

For me, the first blocking point is the hardware. As I know, there is no tablet or mobile with a full hardware support (open source spec or drivers for linux/bsd).