freebsd for old 10/15yo laptop, with xfce/cinnamon?

hello

i have several laptops 10/15 yrs old. Mainly it's intel, atom ones with 32cpu, 1 or 2GB ram.
i was thinking, maybe i can run freebsd with cinnamon on it, or lxde?

does anybody tried to reuse those for lightweight purposes (basic web, libreoffice, blender, gimp..) as a sort or second-hand pc ?

thank you!

I've used XFCE on old dual core laptops. 1GB is not quite enough for web browsing..it works but is very slow. 2GB ram worked well. I think Cinnamon might be a little too heavy, but there's no reason you can't try it and see what happens :)

Blender and Libre Office aren't exactly light, nor are modern browsers. Also don't forget that FreeBSD will be sunsetting 32-bit platforms in the near future.

Well, it is one thing to use a 15 year old laptop, in fact I think I do that, too (not sure how old some of my Thinkpads are). But it is a different matter to do that with laptops that were already considered low end or even crippled at the time they were new.

Also, there is a huge difference between 1 GB and 2 GB of RAM. It might only be a gigabytes, which seems trivial if you have 32. But it is twice as much RAM in a machine that badly needs more RAM. That easily makes the difference between practically working or not.

Back