Freebsd Dont shutdown or reboot

Well i make a new installation of Freebsd, in the 11 version, and i cant make a normal shutdown or reboot.
i try shutdown -r now, halt, poweroff and always stay in pcm8: detached
i upload a pic with the message.
i try with root and the result is the same.

Attachments

• photo5152207962322872241.jpg
    photo5152207962322872241.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 872
getopt He/she said the same happens when the shutdown is executed by root, also when the user is not in operator group it give you an error message and do not start the shutdown.

I believe, for some reason, the system is doing to halt. It may indicate some ACPI related problem. So take a look if everything is fine at BIOS/UEFI, and if it is tell us more about your hardware. :)

In root user it's the same thing, in bios/uefi it's all fine, I upload a photo trying to shutdown the system with root.

What else can I do?

My hardware is
Motherboard : evga z170 ftw
32gb ram
6700k Intel
And a ssd.

Attachments

• IMG_3569.JPG
    IMG_3569.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 969
ps axl > processes will create a file called processes in the filesystem path you executed that command. So, if you executed it from $HOME, it should be in there.

I ran into this -- or at least very similar, on a fresh 12-CURRENT install. What I found was, that it had actually finished the shutdown (halt(8) actually) but simply didn't echo the "finished" message(s) to the console.
What happens if you issue a halt(8). Then, shortly after you see the message it (seems) to get stuck at. Simply hit the ENTER key. Does it reboot? That's what happened for me. Everything actually finished. But there was no indication on the console/screen. If I hit ENTER, it'd reboot, or shutdown/power-off. I found that when I updated my system, everything worked as it was supposed to.

Just thought I'd mention it.

HTH

--Chris

I ran into this -- or at least very similar, on a fresh 12-CURRENT install. What I found was, that it had actually finished the shutdown (halt(8) actually) but simply didn't echo the "finished" message(s) to the console.
What happens if you issue a halt(8). Then, shortly after you see the message it (seems) to get stuck at. Simply hit the ENTER key. Does it reboot? That's what happened for me. Everything actually finished. But there was no indication on the console/screen. If I hit ENTER, it'd reboot, or shutdown/power-off. I found that when I updated my system, everything worked as it was supposed to.

Just thought I'd mention it.

HTH

--Chris

Nope I try it and nothing stuck and doesn't respond, hit enter a lot of times and nothing.

i try again the ps axl > processes without start xfce
https://pastebin.com/iq33fRuq
this is the new pastebin

Does the same happen issuing the command reboot?
Just wondering if it's a USB keyboard, and that it's detached after issuing a halt. So nothing more is received.
Just a thought. I have to admit; the only other thing (short side of a process not dying) is that the user you're issuing the command isn't allowed to. But you indicated you attempted this as root. So the keyboard thing, is the only other thing I can think of. Unless you're attempting to do this within a terminal while in X(org).

--Chris

Does the same happen issuing the command reboot?
Just wondering if it's a USB keyboard, and that it's detached after issuing a halt. So nothing more is received.
Just a thought. I have to admit; the only other thing (short side of a process not dying) is that the user you're issuing the command isn't allowed to. But you indicated you attempted this as root. So the keyboard thing, is the only other thing I can think of. Unless you're attempting to do this within a terminal while in X(org).

--Chris
Yes, it is a USB keyboard, and my motherboard dont have any port PS2, to check this.
yes i try it always at root, and my user, and the result it is the same.
i try it without a window manager, just terminal, and the result its the same :/

P3p0x post your /var/run/dmesg.boot so we can see if there is anything interesting during boot.

here is it
https://pastebin.com/4THBF9XW

I do not know what it means in practice, but eventually someone appear and say if it is relevant or not:

Code:
acpi0: <ALASKA A M I > on motherboard
acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
ACPI Error: Mutex [0x0] is not acquired, cannot release (20160527/utmutex-386)
ACPI Error: Could not release AML Interpreter mutex (20160527/exutils-147)
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0

EDIT: You may want to take a look in Thread 59627.

In the worse scenario, until this bug be nailed, it is safe to turn off or reboot (reset button) when the system is in halt. It is the exactly the way we used to do it before ACPI do exist.

Halt is more well know by the Windows message:

Code:
"It is now safe to turn off the computer"

But for the sake of correctness, if possible, I would use shutdown -h now.

In the worse scenario, until this bug be nailed, it is safe to turn off or reboot (reset button) when the system is in halt. It is the exactly the way we used to do it before ACPI do exist.

Halt is more well know by the Windows message:

Code:
"It is now safe to turn off the computer"

But for the sake of correctness, if possible, I would use shutdown -h now.
i discover something, with the live cd, i cant halt, or reboot the pc normally, and its the same version, and the same hardware :/

and if i disable APIC,
the shutdown or Restart its funcionally. but i can start the system :( jaja

If this is still an issue, which I doubt at this point, or for anybody else you might want to go into your BIOS/UEFI and see if you can disable PS/2 support of the motherboard. I had a similar issue one some Z97 or early Z170 mobo that refused to properly reboot & would hang in a similar way in perpetuity. I spotted the MUTEX report in my dmesg output, figured on a hunch something may be up with how the mobo went about translating PS/2 to USB keyboard data stream.

su: BAD SU R to root on /dev/pts/2
I should have looked closer at this when I first responded.
This error (basically) indicates you aren't initiating halt(8) as root. Or put another way; you don't have permission to execute that command. If I were you, I'd look at how you're window manager is handling the command. Be it from clicking on something, or simply the way su(1) is being called.

--Chris

Back