FreeBSD disc 1 not loading

I have made a freeBSD disc 1 and put it into my desktop but it fell through right to grub from which debian was loaded. I understand this that some i386 machines may do this with the 7.2 release. But, I only have 1 CD left and I want to be completely (or as much as possible) sure that that the cause is what I think. How can I do this?

Can you boot from any CD at all? Check if BIOS includes the CD in its boot order.

I've already metioned that I know about that errata and I have the CDROM at the highest priority in the boot device.

In case other CD-ROMs boot correctly, I suppose your copy is bad.
P.S. I am surprised to meet a Debian user that needs help with booting a CD-ROM.

To make sure I would disable all boot devices except CD in your BIOS boot order options - if the install fails to start then its a badly burnt CD, faulty CD drive or the 7.2 errata issue mentioned by Beastie.

Also do not overlook the obvious, like BIOS updates - does your motherboard have the latest one? I have solved many weird boot issues in the past by updating the BIOS on a motherboard...

At first, I was also unable to boot with the 7.2-RELEASE disc. I put in another disc, and swapped it with the 7.2-RELEASE disc after sysinstall started. The installation worked. Used a 7.0-RELEASE disc instead of the bootonly ISO mentioned in the errata.

The problem I encountered was the one mentioned in the errata.

Back