FreeBSD based STB

Would it be possible to develop a FreeBSD-based set top box for receiving satellite broadcasts? There are some Linux based devices using a Linux variant called Enigma2 which has become a standard on open source based set top boxes such as Dreambox compatible boxes.

The difficult part comes from finding a satellite card with driver support for FreeBSD. There have been some Hauppauge cards that were supported, but I'm not sure what the status of them is.

The difficult part comes from finding a satellite card with driver support for FreeBSD. There have been some Hauppauge cards that were supported, not sure what the status of them is.

Do you mean having a device driver for a DVB-S card?

Do you mean having a device driver for a DVB-S card?
Yes. I see the Hauppauge drivers have been removed from the ports tree. I'm not sure if there are any other drivers in the ports tree for capture cards.

I used to have a TV card that used the bktr(4) driver. It worked reasonably well with MPlayer and a few other applications. I was able to watch TV on my FreeBSD desktop. The driver still exists but is quite old now and I'm not sure if it still works properly on recent FreeBSD versions. It's a fairly simple chipset too, probably only usable for SD content. I don't think there are any recent cards that are based on the Bt848 chips.

Back