FREEBSD BASED OS DEVELOP

Buy "The design and implementation of the FreeBSD OS; Second edition". Or just go and look through the source, it's open after all.

Before you buy a book, I might spare you some frustration by speaking openly:

If you have to ask such a question, stop right now. Better learn C first by writing userspace programs, starting from helloworld and not stopping until you reach something complex involving several translation units and clearly defined interfaces in header files.

THEN look online for resources about how an OS generally works. Read about what a kernel does (and if you intend to work on the kernel as well, you probably want to understand things like inter-process communication, context switches, syscalls, MMUs / virtual memory / page tables, (virtual) filesystems, and so on, this list is not exhaustive). Then you should know the basic workings of a userland as well. THEN you might want to buy a book about the design of FreeBSD.

Of course, once there, you have also to be clear about what your goal is. After all, FreeBSD is an operating system.

more precisely, I downloaded the source code from GitHub and do something for myself the problem did not appear, but I can not translate to iso

first ı develop a linux kernel to os I did not get enough support and I leave ı know c It was difficult to develop over bsd and I tried ubuntu I wrote on linux forums about bsd and got banned from all of them one by one MY ONLY WISH my own operating system AND I TRY IT PLEASE HELP

1. Did you read (and understand) my response?

2. Are you talking about development or just compiling your own? FreeBSD sources are meant to be built on FreeBSD, so very first step is to install a FreeBSD system. It's no big deal you don't know this, but a strong indicator you shouldn't start working on code yet :eek: But of course, for working on code, you will still need a running installation of FreeBSD first.

but usb :( reading :(

This is not a statement or a question and is not related to any of your other posts. Is this a language barrier thing? Perhaps English is not your first language. Or do you not have enough effort to form coherent sentences?

The latter is an issue because if you show this same lack of commitment to developing an OS, it simply will never come to fruition.

Well, I can give a technical primer for getting an environment you could develop on:
  • Install FreeBSD in a virtual machine (hacking on it will produce crashes), I'd probably start with the latest 13.0 installers right now
  • get the source:
    Code:
    pkg install git-tiny
    cd /usr/src
    git clone https://git.freebsd.org/src.git .
  • for development, you want to use -CURRENT (the unsupported development version) with all debugging enabled, so nothing else to do, stay on the main branch.
  • put kld_list="filemon" in /etc/rc.conf and WITH_META_MODE=yes in /etc/src-env.conf, to avoid rebuilding everything on each compile – type kldload filemon to load the module without rebooting.
  • build the development version as described in the handbook: https://docs.freebsd.org/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
  • once you're running 14.0-CURRENT, happy hacking in /usr/src – use snapshots to get your VM back to a previous state in case of emergency, use a private branch and push it somewhere else to conserve your code changes in case you have to roll back.

Done this, I assume you will realize you still don't know what to do. Then is probably the time to give up, or take the (long) time and effort to actually learn a few things first, see previous posts in this thread.

freebsd doesnt read usb flash disk
and ı cant create iso on free bsd
mounting problems is first thing
second thing is source code
and my problem is develop a os based on free bsd source code

fyguy43 A forum isn't discord, IRC or some chat service. Please stop posting several one line posts in a row. Think about what you want to say, then post it.

And I strongly urge you to start learning to use FreeBSD before you even attempt to develop for it. It's pretty clear you have very little experience, get some of that first.

Handbook

I strongly suggest fyguy43 to first learn basic things, like reading documentation, using command line tools etc.
Fastest way to make your own OS is do : sed -i 's/FreeBSD/fyguy43OS/g' /usr/src/*
but you would know it if you had any experience.

EDIT: real example:
find /usr/src \( -type d -name .git -prune \) -o -type f |xargs sed -i '' 's/FreeBSD/TySoNOS/g'

• put kld_list="filemon" in /etc/rc.conf and WITH_META_MODE=yes in /etc/src-env.conf, to avoid rebuilding everything on each compile – type kldload filemon to load the module without rebooting.
Do not follow this bad recommendation, it simply doesn't work... instead, echo filemon_load=\"YES\" >> /boot/loader.conf and then reboot. Zirias, please take one topic from my todo list, and file in a qualified bug report concerning filemon(4): "filemon(4) does not work when loaded @runtime; please fix and/or document".

fyguy43, OTT, you may want to enlist to either one of
  • traditional university
  • regular distant university (federal or private with good reputation)
  • free online "university" (e.g. Wikiversity or there's some other good service in the UK IIRC)
and study computer science, @least the basic courses, of course visit "basic OS design principles" or similar. Then don't hesitate to do your experiments, and come back here in 5+ years to report your success story.

So you say you want to develop an OS. That requires a lot of skill. Your messages do not give me confidence that you have those skills. But perhaps you can learn. The first thing we would need to know to give you any help or guidance is: What is your skill level? And what problem do you want to solve? Why do you want "your own OS"? Modifying an OS is hard, tedious, and most likely will break it; writing one from scratch is virtually impossible today. So please explain what your real goal is.

freebsd doesnt read usb flash disk
Works fine for me. Always has. I have been using FreeBSD for about 6 years now, other *BSDs before that, and never had a problem with that.

and ı cant create iso on free bsd
Do you mean creating an ISO from other files? Easy, install the mkisofs program. I think it is installed as part of a package that includes other tools for writing to CDs.

Or do you mean creating a bootable ISO image as part of kernel compilation? SirDice pointed you at the release script above.

mounting problems is first thing
If you have specific problems with mounting things, you need to give us details. Like for example "I have a YoyoDyne external disk, connected via a purple cable, that is formatted in the Elephant file system. I created the file system and wrote it using Minix. I want to mount it on FreeBSD, and don't know what mount command to use". That would be a good question to ask. Just saying that "mounting is the first thing" is not an answerable question.

second thing is source code
and my problem is develop a os based on free bsd source code
The source code for FreeBSD is trivial to find. The book by Kirk McKusick is an excellent guide. If you don't know how to find the source code, and are not willing to read that book, you will not have any chance to develop an OS.

Based on the meme he used for his avatar I guess this guy was from Reddit but just assume he's honest ;)

BTW, what you are going to do seems to be creating a distro of FreeBSD for me. Just like creating another Linux distro, it's easy, not require much knowledge but more about building and packaging. You could use GhostBSD as a reference: https://github.com/GhostBSD

IMHO the word "develop" is misused here. In no way I think he's possible to develop a new OS!

Back