FreeBSD as hotspot

Hi
One of my FreeBSD laptops is attached to wired network. I want to share my wired connection with other devices via wifi, i.e. I want to make this FreeBSD box a hotspot. Kindly point me towards appropriate guide/documentation.
Also, if anyone of you already using your FreeBSD as hotspot, then kindly share your configs.
Thanks

My experience was not very good with pfSense. The wireless drivers for the various chipsets I've tried were often rudimentary or buggy - "stuck beacons" and random lock-ups. 802.11ac not supported. There are no interference mitigation techniques that some APs have. Eventually my organization decided to decouple wireless from pfSense and install stand-alone APs. Alas, FreeBSD has quite poor wireless subsystem.

Hi!
I've readed https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html
scroll down to 31.3.6. FreeBSD Host Access Points

I came here for same question. I have few old Core2Duo PC and I want turn them to WiFi AP. But since I don't have any WiFi cards, before I buy them, I'd like to know: is it worth to use FreeBSD as WiFi AP and what WiFi chipsets is better use with FreeBSD.
I was reading it. Is related to converting a wired connection to wifi-hotspot? Because I cannot see any command related to ethernet card (em0). I may be wrong.

As my poor knowing of this topic(not yet tried due lack of WiFi adapters) I can suggest that network subsystem should take care of redirecting packets(as you especially must put "hostap" keyword during WiFi interface initialising) or you can joini WiFi interface with wired interface via bridging.

unfortunately I cannot recommend pfsense or FreeBSD as a wifi AP ... it is "good enough" for personal use, but I would avoid it for professional use. Using Linux with hostapd you will probably get 3x-5x the speed and number of simultaneous connections from my experience with 3 different cards (all compex based). I would love to use FreeBSD myself as a wifi AP, but I simply cannot recommend any of the BSDs, I have used Debian with hostapd so far, but I have heard great things about openwrt, will evaluate it soon

Back