FreeBSD and the Ultrabooks...

I've been using FreeBSD for many many years, i don't want to be greedy but WHY can't this GREAT OS just support machines like the ASUS ZENBOOK, i don't expect fantastic graphics support but wlan, sd card and lan adapter should be supported, cmon you devs get support faster for some enduser harware its allways so sad to see that support is only fairly good and fast for servers only.

So is there any work being done to get the zenbook or other ubooks supported?

Great machines needs great OS'es.

Your loyal user BSDY.

SD cards should be supported, have you tried sdhci(4)? Network card support depends on many things, last but most definitely not least the manufacturer's cooperation. Instead of just saying things are not supported, perhaps you could explain exactly what hardware you have and what you have tried to get it working. Maybe that will help us help you.

Fonz

BSD-Yoda said:
So is there any work being done to get the zenbook or other ubooks supported?

Umm, since there is no real definition of "ultrabook", I don't know if this helps but if you can at all swap out the machine for a thinkpad (x60, x200) then you will save yourself a heap of trouble.

Though support for laptops (oops.. ultrabooks) is generally pretty decent in FreeBSD, so let us know the exact make of your wlan card and I am sure it is just the case of knowing the correct driver for the chipset.

Clarifying....

Hi again,

Well, i do own the zenbook, and yes its wlan card is NOT supported it seems it dosse't load with the ath driver or any other.

Tested with 8.0 and above to 9.1RC3

:sdhci dose not work, with mmc and such.

:To my experience ndiswrapping of windows drivers works badly with atheros based cards atleast of the near 10 laptops i've used the last couple of years with FBSD, only intel cards wrapped or native have work out nicely in the end. Atheros works geat if it works with ath.

The USB based lan card dosen't work either, alltho i don't see so much hope for this one.

Grahics and stuff works fairly well now with the new KMS, and ok before KMS.

----
For you who is looking at me diffrently becouse i don't post anyting on the forums, Im eyeballing you... eyeballing... :)

Forgot to add:

Wlan card seems to be: Atheros AR9485WB.

And btw. for the i7 cpu dose anyone know if there is working CPU control for this one, that is that you can put it into energysaveing state were it only allows about 800MHz of the CPU to run.

Back