FreeBSD and Memory

Hi,

I am currently studying computer science at university and am looking at computer memory in one of my subjects. I would like to know which area of the FreeBSD source code (/usr/src) do I need to look at to get an idea of how FreeBSD handles memory, both physical and virtual.

thanks for any help,

synack.

just a quick note.. I have ordered a copy of "Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System" which seems to be dealing with FreeBSD 5.2. Is this code still available for download?

synack.

synack said:
just a quick note.. I have ordered a copy of "Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System" which seems to be dealing with FreeBSD 5.2. Is this code still available for download?

synack.
Yes it is available. Check the ftp server. I assume you do know
by heart Lion's Commentary on Unix and Design of the UNIX Operating System by Maurice J. Bach when you want to read
"Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System";)

so... is someone going to point me in the direction of the code that deals with memory? or am I going to have to wait for the book to arrive in the mail?.

You can find memory manager and kernel related files in /usr/src directory if you installed kernel source code. I'm not aware of memory manager functions or files. But one can use grep command to locate specific functions:
Code:
grep  -R 'function_name' *

Back