Solved freebsd and m.2

I installed FreeBSD 13.2 BETA1 on an external m.2 nvme SSD, but system went wrong about once an hour. What's wrong?

☺️, my HDD went wrong, so I bought an m.2 ssd. I don't take pictures, and after went to errors a few times the system only boots to ask me to enter the full path of xxx. I don't know many English words, sometimes I don't know how to express

and after went to errors a few times the system
It is very important to know the exact errors you had to be able to diagnose your issue.

only boots to ask me to enter the full path of xxx
This message?
Code:
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
That's the system having problems booting and you're being dropped into single user mode. Because it doesn't know how to proceed. Again, it is important to know the error that came before this.

As you've been told several times: Please don't post pictures. If there is "no way around" posting a picture at least insert it directly into your forum post rather than linking so some website. Most people here are not going to click on that link.

What is your hardware? Mainboard, CPU, brand/type of the USB enclosure, brand/type of the SSD, etc.

i7-3537u, Intel ChiefRiver HM77 Express, 8Gb DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000, m.2 nvme aigo 512Gb ssd,usb 3.0

Not enough data to help.

Try reducing picture sizes to fit the forum limit.
If you were using phone, you can reduce picture resolution in your photographing app. Try 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

Generally HM77 chipset (IvyBridge) did not support NVMe yet.
Are you sure your device supports an NVMe in that M.2 slot?

Are you booting off the NVMe?

Timing of the problem is important here. If error around 1 hour every time maybe Power State Control?
Change ACPI stuff in BIOS to see if better..Try different suspend states. etcetc. S3 S4 S5

No screen saver at play correct? Are you using Xorg or command prompt when crashing ???

OK I just look at your screenshot and I see CAM ERROR message repeated.

That can be a drive failure. If you can reboot and everything is OK than I would wonder about NVMe temperature.
It may be overheating. Do you have any airflow over NVMe? Heatsink? Is it good branded drive?

Are you booting off the NVMe?
I think from what I understand the NVMe is in one of those dodgy USB-connected enclosures...

unicorn NEVER use USB drives for OS installation - USB is a horrible protocol and not suitable for things that absolutely have to work reliably (like a ZFS vdev).
Either use a PCIe-riser ("adapter") to properly install that NVMe or just use a normal SATA SSD. Connecting an NVMe over USB makes absolutely no sense...

😊
I plug the cable into a usb2.0,I didn't notice my disks work through a USB 2.0, but my sata ssds work with USB 2.0 without a problem 😂
my laptop has one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0, my external disk is usb3.2, I plug the cable like this before:

usb3.2-usb3.0-usb2.0

and I change to this now:

usb3.2-usb3.0-usb3.0

I install a ubuntu and it works well, but my freebsd can't boot from UEFI now,I had installed FreeBSD, GhostBSD, and Ubuntu

I get errors:

zio_read error 5
zfs: i/o error - all blocks unavailable
error: /boot/lua/loader.lua:1: unexpected symbol near '<\4>.

How to let freebsd boot with UEFI?

M.2 over USB 2 is a total waste. You have really fast drive combined with very low-speed and unreliable usb interface! USB3 may fix the speed but it will not fix problems rising from USB protocols.

Try with UFS2 at least, instead of ZFS. ZFS needs lots of low level access to it's drive but USB would not pass through even basic SMART data. And USB might not work well either - will TRIMs pass it? When no, bye your new drive month later. Another failed drive.

If you want that laptop or whatever it is to ACTUALLY work, replace or have somebody who knows how to replace laptop drives, replace the failed drive inside. Then install FreeBSD on proper internal drive without doing it over USB.

Back