FreeBSD and Apple connection

Crivens said:
I remember using gopher and mosaic. Does that make me a fossil?

I started using the internet in 1991 when there wasn't any WWW browser available, what does that make me? :p

throAU said:
Sure. It's still mostly WebKit unless you think that Google have re-written the majority of it in the couple of months the fork has been around for. Hint: It's probably 95-99% WebKit.

Don't have a percentage but Blink had large portions of legacy code removed from it but not as much added back in. A number of those things added in were done by Opera. That was one of the points of Blink. To speed things up and make it easier to maintain and update without all the legacy stuff.

Opera's market share is so insignificant
Opera, by far, was the biggest on mobile till recently. It still is significant, and I'm supposed to know what percentage it is, but I've forgotten at the moment and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Crivens said:
I remember using gopher and mosaic.

An interesting thing is, Marc Andreessen wrote Mosaic, which Microsoft licensed and turned into Internet Explorer. Andreessen also formed Netscape and wrote the Netscape browser. He was asked by Charlie Rose why he didn't use Mosaic code. "Cause it's terrible!", he said. So Andreessen had a hand in creating the two most popular browsers on the planet.

Andreessen formed Netscape with Jim Clark of Silicon Graphics. I used to sit near Jim when I worked at Silicon Graphics. He would come into the cafeteria and sit down just like anyone so talking to him was easy.

I want to say I heard him talking about browsers on occasion back then, and I even want to say I once saw Andreessen there, but you know how memories can distort into facts.

kpa said:
I started using the internet in 1991 when there wasn't any WWW browser available, what does that make me? :p
.oO(Trilobite)?

Those were the days, the newsgroups were good and the amount of idiots seemes to have been a lot less.

drhowarddrfine said:
Opera, by far, was the biggest on mobile till recently. It still is significant, and I'm supposed to know what percentage it is, but I've forgotten at the moment and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Not even close, in terms of mobile, Safari has about 50% of the market.

According to statcounter.com, the top mobile browsers are Android (28.64%), iPhone (22.43%), Opera (15.73%). Chrome was down at 3.77%. I assume 'Android' means whatever is the default browser on Android phones (used to not be Chrome) and iPhone meaning whatever is default on those (Safari I reckon?).

I don't see how that makes Opera insignificant.

@throAU: I'd love to see a source for your claim. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In some ways I actually have similar concerns to Avyd.

I use the firewall in Windows for example not to keep intruders out but to keep all the spyware in, such as online DRM, online updaters, message reporters and all that other shite.

If Apple was a major contributor to FreeBSD I am sure they would have some very smart way to convince people that adding spyware to the source code was a good idea. Just look at what Canonical did with a released version of Ubuntu. Did no-one check the code there before it went out? We hadn't even heard that this was planned until consumers had actually installed it. Funnily enough, the code is still in there (albeit disabled by default for now until they catch everyone off guard again in another future release.)

There are some people in this world who think that online activation is a good thing to do and if they take over an open-source project, it is going to be an awful lot of work for me to keep up-to-date with patches removing that sort of stuff before I use it.

Here shows Mobile Safari with 58% of the market last month.

Opera Mini is doing a lot better than I thought, with 9%.

And here is how the stats are collected.

Anecdotally, where I live, iPads out-number other tablets more than 10:1 in terms of what I've personally seen in the wild and what people are asking to attach to our WIFI network.

kpedersen said:
If Apple was a major contributor to FreeBSD I am sure they would have some very smart way to convince people that adding spyware to the source code was a good idea.

That would be a great trick, I would say. You can fool all people for some time, etc... But there are always things which I, for one, would not go with. The best place to drop some lock in code would be a central place, like the kernel. Apple uses a different kernel, so that central point would not work. Slipping in something in the userland is not as easy.

The only thing that would work would be, IMHO, that they provide something that gives benefit, and you pay for it with online interaction. What would you, for example, say to a version of XCode for FreeBSD which consumes 10% of your CPU for BitCoin mining? Or maybe for seti@home or any other @home client? That would be something I would consider, and in case of the @home clients would be willing to investigate and maybe try. Because I would love XCode for FreeBSD.

The problems of Ubuntu are more to the general management culture. Management often thinks that such decisions can be commanded unto you. And then, to say it with the words of Terry Prattchet, they look at the rebelling masses like a lawn mower at the grass that just formed a union. Only many of that grass don't care.

ikbendeman said:
I believe Konqueror has a mode for Webkit and KHTML.

If you're refering to kwebkitpart, that is a FreeBSD-only thing written by one of the kde@ people and not part of the KDE SC.

The Webkit Konqueror is rekonq and it does not offer the ability to switch the rendering engine back to KHTML.

Back