FreeBSD 9: estimated release date

Hi, hope such a question is ok:

Does someone have an idea when FreeBSD 9 will be released? I skimmed through the -current list back to April and checked http://www.freebsd.org/releng/ , but no info whatsoever.

Is there a place to find release estimates? I don't care if it's +- a week, month or even quarter; but not knowing if it will be released tomorrow or in two years sucks IMO.

Thanks a lot for the link! The wiki-page is great.

I didn't know that the feature-freeze already happened. In this case, I might as well start help testing for 9 and upgrade my laptop.

(Can't await the first -RC for the server. :-D )

namor said:
Thanks a lot for the link! The wiki-page is great.

I didn't know that the feature-freeze already happened. In this case, i might as well start help testing for No.9 and upgrade my laptop.
(Can't await the first RC for the server. :-D )
No, the freeze hasn't happened yet. But at this point 9-CURRENT is quite stable IMHO.

gkontos said:
No, the freeze hasn't happened yet. But at this point 9-Current is quite stable IMHO.

Hmm, ok. That confuses me. According to my interpretation of the table in the Wiki, the feature freeze should have happened on June 27th. Is the information wrong - or has "Actual" another meaning?

Code:
Action                      | Expected   | Actual
(...)
Code slush (feature freeze) | 2011-06-19 | 2011-06-27
(...)

PS.: The recent freebsd-current list did not contain any subjects with "freeze" or "feature".

The "Expected" column is the date they aim for.

The "Actual" column is filled in with the date that it actually happens.

Thus, if the "Actual" column is blank, then that step hasn't occurred yet. Since the "feature-freeze" row has a date in the "Actual" column, then that means the features have been frozen (or the tree is in partial-freeze or slush or something similar).

Sorrry for bumping this, but I believe it is better to post here than create a topic of the same nature.

Anyways, is it still not clear when the final release will come? Because I am waiting for this to actually install FreeBSD on my computer.

Majorix said:
Sorrry for bumping this, but I believe it is better to post here than create a topic of the same nature.

Anyways, is it still not clear when the final release will come? Because I am waiting for this to actually install FreeBSD on my computer.

I think that RC3 is the final release candidate.

I rather think it's already cooked but not officially announced. At least 100 MFCs to RELENG_9 in only slightly more then 24 hours isn't exactly ``frozen'' any more.

The last info I've heard on the internal mailing list is that the release builds are about to start soon. That was a couple of days ago so they may have already started by now.

danger@ said:
The last info I've heard on the internal mailing list is that the release builds are about to start soon. That was a couple of days ago so they may have already started by now.

newvers.sh still shows:

Code:
TYPE="FreeBSD"
REVISION="9.0"
BRANCH="RC3"

Happy release!

Code:
#	@(#)newvers.sh	8.1 (Berkeley) 4/20/94
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/conf/newvers.sh,v 1.95.2.4.2.4 2012/01/02 14:45:30 kensmith Exp $

TYPE="FreeBSD"
REVISION="9.0"
BRANCH="RELEASE"

Just look at the newest version of /usr/src/UPDATING for RELENG_9 :e

¡Un magnífico regalo de los Reyes Magos de Oriente!

¡Gracias!

# uname -a
Code:
FreeBSD asuka.familyworks [B]9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #0[/B]: Mon Jan  2 23:27:18 CET 2012     
josean@asuka.familyworks:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Back