FreeBSD 9.0, sparc SUNW Sun-Fire-V245 Error installing.

• SunFire v245
  • UltraSPARC-IIIi
  • XVR-300 graphics card

Tried to install 9.0 Release. I got this and the server freezes:
Code:
jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0098000

Tried to install directly from a server using SUN keyboard, mouse and monitor. I configured output device to XVR-300 graphics card. Same error results. Tried to install using a serial connection. I configured output device to serial ttya. Same error results. Retired the graphics card and tried to install using a serial connection. Same error results.

From (http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/sparc.html):

Sun Fire V245 (support first appeared in 7.3-RELEASE and 8.1-RELEASE)

My system is supported apparently. I've downloaded ISO images twice and used two different burned CDs and the same result. Tried OpenBSD 5.1 and success, but I want FreeBSD.

Can you help me to resolve this issue? Thanks.

Hi mmoll, I've tried to do that today. I removed the graphics card and booted from serial console. Connected the serial cable to ttya and from linux over minicom. Same result
Code:
jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0098000

Another tip?
Thanks.

Hm, normally removing it solves this problem. The coresponding OBP-variables were set to ttya after removal?

Yes mmoll, the OBP was set to ttya. I changed the output device to ttya, do I need to set other variable? Maybe I need to set input device?

Thanks mmoll, I'm not at the office now, but if you suggest some other variables in order to checklist I will appreciate.

Luis.

Not really sure if this is needed, howver here is a list of variables from a working V240:
Code:
# eeprom -a|grep ttya
ttya-rts-dtr-off: false
ttya-ignore-cd: true
ttya-mode: 9600,8,n,1,-
output-device: ttya
input-device: ttya
Otherwise ask on freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org, there are some people who have FreeBSD running also on V245s.

Back