FreeBSD 9.0 + CUPS + HPLIP + HP Deskjet F2200 = no success yet.

Ok so here is what I have done so far, from the beggining, according to the handbook and wblock's guide posted above:

# mkdir /var/spool/lpd/f2280
# chown daemon:daemon /var/spool/lpd/f2280
# chmod 770 /var/spool/lpd/f2280
# echo 'lpd_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf

Then I installed HPLIP in order to get the PPD file for my printer:

# portmaster print/hplip

I copied the ppd:
# cp hp-deskjet_f2200_series-hpijs.ppd /usr/local/etc/ppd/hp-deskjet_f2200_series-hpijs.ppd

Then uninstalled HPLIP:
Code:
portmaster -e hplip

I then tried to install HPIJS, but was informed that foomatic-filters conflicts with HPIJS so I uninstalled it.

I then reinstalled HPIJS:
# portmaster /print/hpijs and, according to the post-insallation information, I copied ifhp:
# cp ifhp /usr/local/etc/bin/ where to ym surprise I found foomatic-rip which must have been installed by HPIJS, judging by the dates. Ghostscript9 was installed as a dependency.

So I decided to re-write my /etc/printcap which now looks like this:
Code:
hp|lp|f2280:\
        :sh:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/f2280:\
        :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/ifhp:\
        :af=/usr/local/etc/ppd/hp-deskjet_f2200_series-hpijs.ppd:

And I tried to print numerous things (from Xpdf, lpr from the command line, typical lptest commands, etc). Nothing happened. I also tried using unlpt0 but no change.

My error log, /var/log/lpd-errs says only:
Code:
Jul 26 22:49:41 host lpd[6474]: lpd startup: logging=0
Jul 27 11:52:15 host lpd[1787]: lpd startup: logging=0
Jul 27 11:58:18 host lpd[2153]: lpd startup: logging=0

I will play around with my /usr/local/bin/ifhp to see if that will make any difference, specifically the parts which read:
Code:
-sDeviceModel="DESKJET 960"  ... and ... -sIjsParams="Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=2,Quality:MediaType=0,Quality:PenSet=2" \

As "DESKJET 960" is not my printer, I will try to dinf the exact name for my printer, and make sure that the following quality setting are supported by my printer by checking /usr/local/share/doc/hpijs

However, I'm starting to wonder if I'm not barking up the wrong tree: my ifhp says nothing about LIDIL language and also says that plain text will not be translated and will be sent straight to the printer. And I'm pretty sure now that my printer doesn't speak plain text.

I think I found a few extra grey hairs this morning, and I'm sure it's because of my printer! So any more of your patience and help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Back