FreeBSD 8 Src Upgrade

DutchDaemon said:
Try [cmd=]du -x -d 1 /[/cmd], or for more detail [cmd=]du -x -d 2 /[/cmd], etc. By using -x you stay inside the / filesystem.

du -x -d 1 / shows the same list as above. Does that mean /boot is within /? /boot seems to have a lot in it.

du -x -d1 -h /boot/ shows;

Code:
 24K   /boot/defaults
2.0K   /boot/firmware
199M   /boot/kernel
2.0K   /boot/modules
2.0K   /boot/zfs
233M   /boot/kernel.old
433M   /boot/

I looks like /boot/kernel and /boot/kernel.old are taking up the space. Can/should I delete /boot/kernel.old?

The -h flag actually adds confusion. Leave it out, and ignore everything sized 0-2 (those are mostly mountpoints and/or empty directories). Anything bigger is inside /. And yes, /boot is inside /, or the system couldn't boot ..

Ok but what should I do to free up space? First I tried the bianry upgrade method but that didn't work so now I'm trying the source method. Is any of this left over maybe from the binary method that can be deleted?

Your /boot/ directory is exceptionally big. A regular /boot/kernel or /boot/kernel.old is about 35-40 MB big. If your current kernel is running well, you can delete /boot/kernel.old/. This might free up enough space for the current kernel to be copied. If /boot/kernel is full of files with 'symbol' in their names, those can be deleted as well (with due care, of course, don't delete the kernel itself or the modules (*.ko).

I freed up some space but when I run make installworld I now get this message;

Code:
===> share/info (install)
===> lib (install)
===> lib/csu/amd64 (install)
install -o root -g wheel -m 444 crt1.o crti.o crtn.o gcrt1.o /usr/lib
install:No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/csu/amd64.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

What file or directory can't it find? I've tried the binary upgrade method and by source but neither one worked. I'm unable to upgrade my system from 7.2 to 8.0

Ok that worked better. I got all the way thru upgrading ports but when I ran startx I got this;

Code:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libz.so.4" not found, required by "X".

I installed misc/compat7x then that took care of that. Now all I have to so is get my mouse working in X.

I got the mouse working in X by adding the following;

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
 Option "AutoAddDevices"  "false"
EndSection

So now everything seems to work. I'm posting this from my new 8.0 box. Thanks for all the help everyone.

You have probaly build your kernel with debug messages and symbols which blows the kernel to the size you see, if you remove/comment out the line
makeoptions DEBUG=-g # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
in the GENERIC config file or in your own then your kernel shouldn't take
more than 40MB of space.

Back