FreeBSD 7,2, pkg_add

I recently attempted to install FreeBSD onto my laptop. Being new to FreeBSD, just dabbling actually from Slackware actually. Anyway, whenever I try to use pkg_add I just get an unable to fetch (whatever) message. What are some work arounds for this. I'm assuming that I am connected to the Internet since ifconfig gives me an active internet connection.

Oh the whatever is any application I keep trying to install such as gnome2, kde, etc.

cmj said:
pkg_add -r gnome2

Error: FTP unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/1386/packages-7.2-release/Latest/gnome2.tbz: No address record
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/1386/packages-7.2-release/Latest/gnome2.tbz' by url

I tried variations of gnome

Do you have the network card configured and working?

It should be ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.2-release/Latest/ and not ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/1386/packages-7.2-release/Latest/.

Make sure the PACKAGESITE environment variable is properly set.

'No address record' means 'no DNS resolving'. What is in your /etc/resolv.conf?

To make my transition more smoothly, in relation to configuring a network, what can I just copy over from my Slackware install?

For example, can I bring over my /etc/resolv.conf.

cmj said:
To make my transition more smoothly, in relation to configuring a network, what can I just copy over from my Slackware install?

For example, can I bring over my /etc/resolv.conf.
Usually, yes. I doubt anything else can be copied directly, though.

Alright, I solved it by reinstalling except this time connecting directly to my wired modem. Everything works!...except my wireless.

Back