Freebsd 7.0 on Lenovo X300

Before I break up my saving account, sell my house, my wife and my kids and take a 10-year loan, I am just wondering whether someone has ever tried to install 7.0 on a Lenovo X300. :e

CPU: Core 2 Duo SL7100 --> should scale without any problems
GFX: Intel GMA X3100 --> works great with Intel drivers 2.4.2 for example
NET: Intel Wireless WiFi 4965AGN --> this one is supported by driver in 8-CURRENT maybe there are pathes for 7.x ( http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=2927&postcount=3 )
BLU: Bluetooth --> dunno here, should work but you should confirm that

Other components should work fine imho.

Fingerprint reader and camera propably will not work.

Hi vemarden,

It is the third forum we meet and it is always a pleasure.

Thanks for your reply.

Wifi:
I know about the Intel Wireless WiFi 4965AGN.

Fingerprint reader:
fprint has been ported.

Bluetooth:
I agree it should work.

Camera:
Least of my concerns

My question was about if there is something I should know before taking the plunge.

OK, it's Hanouka/Christmas/whatever time. I am on my way to buy a lenovo X300 and try all this. :)

I tried running 7.0-RELEASE for a while, but I went to 8.0-CURRENT and never went back. The iwn(4) driver on 8.0-CURRENT works a lot better than the "unsupported" 7.x driver mentioned in another thread.

The thing to keep in mind is that ACPI support is only so-so. Volume controls, screen brightness and other Fn keys don't work "out-of-the-box", and it will only resume from suspend if you're running Xorg and using only one CPU core.

I have to say that NetBSD 5 (Beta) works nicely, and of course recent Linux distros work well (Ubuntu, Fedora, and Gentoo).

I guess if you're a hardcore hobbyist like me it may be fun for you to run FreeBSD on the X300. I'm going to try some suspend/resume patches I saw floating around on freebsd-acpi mailing list and see if I can get my other CPU core back, but other than that, I look forward to tracking 8.0-CURRENT and seeing all the nifty things the FreeBSD devs are up to.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information.

I am going to follow your advice and install NetBSD-current.

One last word, how about OpenSolaris? Do you know if it would run on the X300?

BTW: Soon for sale a Windows XP Professional license plus the original and unsealed CD companion.

Thanks for the information.

I am going to follow your advice and install NetBSD-current.

One last word, how about OpenSolaris? Do you know if it would run on the X300?

BTW: Soon for sale a Windows XP Professional license plus the original and unsealed CD companion.

Yes, OpenSolaris 2008.11 runs well on the X300. Suspend/resume, wireless, sound, X, etc...
OpenSolaris was pretty speedy (responsive) too -- which sorta surprised me, having ran a seemingly "slower" Ubuntu Intrepid and Fedora 10 setup not too long before that. Programs seemed to load more quickly; maybe it's ZFS, who knows? It's all subjective, really...

Oops! Actually there was no suspend/resume on OpenSolaris for me on my X300, I'm not sure why I mis-remembered that particular detail (since I've been investigating suspend/resume on different operating systems for the past several months).

bsdgooch said:
Oops! Actually there was no suspend/resume on OpenSolaris for me on my X300.

Thanks for the tip but I am not really using suspend/resume.

I have installed NetBSD-current so far (I know, I know, this is the FreeBSD official forum but I am an hardcore FreeBSD user and the X300 is to be connected to my FreeBSD home and company servers ;)).

I will try OpenSolaris in the next weeks.

Did you manage to get the fingerprint reader working?

Regards

Fingerprint scanner is working using fprint (and libusb):

ports/security/fprint_demo
ports/security/libfprint
ports/security/pam_fprint

Also, I've been running 7.1 with a good, working driver for the Intel 4965 wireless card via a backport from 8.0-current (with a few fixes by me):

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg....t/2008/freebsd-stable/20080928.freebsd-stable

I'm waiting on a little feedback from gavin@ before I post it anywhere.

NetBSD worked well, although I didn't run it for long. I was able to get a nice, stable, mostly working setup, but it was mainly for experimentation.

Back