FreeBSD 14 - Latest polkit package breaks sddm+kde desktop

Hi All,

Just a heads up that the upgrade of polkit from version 123 to 124 breaks sddm and KDE horribly.. I had run pkg upgrade to update my packages (which are set to track "latest").

Instantly in my KDE session as soon as that package was installed, I lost the ability to shutdown/reboot/suspend the machine... I gave the machine a reboot, and the sddm
screen came up, after entering my password to log in, it hung there for a few minutes before finally loading my desktop (and back to having the same set of issues in regards to having lost the ability to shut the system down from the menu etc)... In /var/log/messages I was seeing a bunch of messages like:

Code:
Jan 31 00:04:10 bsd-desktop console-kit-daemon[2414]: CRITICAL: polkit_authority_check_authorization: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY (authority)' failed
Jan 31 00:05:25 bsd-desktop console-kit-daemon[2414]: CRITICAL: polkit_authority_check_authorization: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY (authority)' failed
Jan 31 00:05:56 bsd-desktop console-kit-daemon[2414]: CRITICAL: polkit_authority_check_authorization: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY (authority)' failed
Jan 31 00:06:19 bsd-desktop console-kit-daemon[2414]: CRITICAL: polkit_authority_check_authorization: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY (authority)' failed
Jan 31 00:20:11 bsd-desktop console-kit-daemon[2414]: CRITICAL: polkit_authority_check_authorization: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY (authority)' failed
Jan 31 00:21:56 bsd-desktop console-kit-daemon[2414]: CRITICAL: polkit_authority_check_authorization: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY (authority)' failed
Jan 31 00:30:17 bsd-desktop console-kit-daemon[2414]: CRITICAL: polkit_authority_check_authorization: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY (authority)' failed

The only way I was able to fix this was by downgrading the polkit package to v123 - thank god the older version of the package was hanging around in /var/cache/pkg and I was able to install it with pkg add . I had done nothing to the install of polkit in any way ever, no meddling of things in /usr/local/etc/polkit-1 - I put this down to a problem with the v124 package.

Hopefully this helps someone else facing problems (and gets the attention of someone who can reproduce the issue and fix it)!

Thank you for that link to that thread. If I understand correctly _1 of the package (124_1) has this issue resolved. It is not yet in the package repository at the time of writing this but I am guessing it will be soon enough. I'll try upgrading again when the package is available, for now I have a working system and can wait.

I didn't think to that. I could take polkit-123 pkg archive from one of my 14.0-RELEASE installation and force it to install in the ill machine.

I will wait a little if 124_1 version comes to the latest repo, but it's a good idea. Thanks.

I didn't think to that. I could take polkit-123 pkg archive from one of my 14.0-RELEASE installation and force it to install in the ill machine.

I will wait a little if 124_1 version comes to the latest repo, but it's a good idea. Thanks.
Well, if you use ports and Poudriere, you can compile your own KDE upgrade against known working components that you'd rather leave alone...

Well, if you use ports and Poudriere, you can compile your own KDE upgrade against known working components that you'd rather leave alone...
If I was master of universe, I won't have any problem.

Seriously, I began on FreeBSD with ports and I realized I have no advantage to use that instead of packages, as I was waiting minutes if not hours to let the things compile. Concerning Poudriere, it's the same.

By the way, I don't use KDE at all on FreeBSD.

Hi,
I report the problem here too.
console-kit-daemon: CRITICAL: polkit_authority_check_authorization: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY (authority)' failed.

I'll wait for the rescue too :p

Seriously, I began on FreeBSD with ports and I realized I have no advantage to use that instead of packages, as I was waiting minutes if not hours to let the things compile. Concerning Poudriere, it's the same.
One big advantage of ports is that you can turn on a LOT of options. Pre-compiled packages tend to be prepared with pretty minimal options turned on. Some big stuff like Chromium and GCC, I have no choice but to use pkgs.

Back