freebsd 14.1 hangs in welcome menu

hi
I'm new to linux and unix and have recently decided to try freebsd but I keep facing the same issue. the installation freezes in the welcome menu and I keep having to hard shut my laptop
I have tried to toggle ACPI on and off with and without safe mode but it causes my laptop to reboot and I really don't know what to do. turning verbose on shows the massage "acpi_tz0: switched from _AC0 to NONE: 46.1C" and I don't know what it means or what to do

I used the dd command on arch the way described in the installation guide with both the memstick and dvd1 files

my brother has a windows laptop do you think that I should use Rufus on that to burn the image to my flash drive

my laptop is a recently bought asus tuf a15 fa506nf and my usb thumb drive is 32gb and usb 2.0 (I think)

I'm usually against pictures, but in this case it might be the only way to get some information. Can you take a picture of the screen when it hangs?

I'm usually against pictures, but in this case it might be the only way to get some information. Can you take a picture of the screen when it hangs?
ok here it is

Attachments

• 20240905_202138.jpg
    20240905_202138.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 71
I can confirm I am experiencing this too. Wanted to install FreeBSD on my laptop tonight but looks like that might happen in the future instead :(

The message just tells you some active cooling (_AC0) was disabled at a temperature of 41°C (I guess because that's below some active cooling threshold). acpi_tz means an "ACPI thermal zone" device. This doesn't sound like a particularly high temperature, so I'd assume this message is completely unrelated, although I can't be entirely sure of course.

Just to be sure, by "freeze" you mean your keyboard (enter, cursor keys) does nothing?

The message just tells you some active cooling (_AC0) was disabled at a temperature of 41°C (I guess because that's below some active cooling threshold). acpi_tz means an "ACPI thermal zone" device. This doesn't sound like a particularly high temperature, so I'd assume this message is completely unrelated, although I can't be entirely sure of course.

Just to be sure, by "freeze" you mean your keyboard (enter, cursor keys) does nothing?
yes it's my keyboard and mousepad that don't do anything

Okay I just tried again with an external keyboard and the issue seems to lie on the internal keyboard? Not hardware wise, but for some reason the internal laptop keyboard stops working in the installer and only my external keeps working. Weird. Can send a video if needed!

I don't have an external keyboard that works with USB it's just our old computers keyboard that has its own purple connector and I'm not even sure if it works. what am I supposed to do?

it's just our old computers keyboard that has its own purple connector
That's a PS/2 keyboard connector. Make sure you plug it in before turning on the laptop. PS/2 keyboard (and mouse) connectors are often disabled if there's nothing connected to it, connecting it after powering on the laptop might not work. The USB "legacy" keyboard function in the BIOS/UEFI may have taken over.

maybe you could try to edit /boot/loader.conf, and add
Code:
hw.usb.usbhid.enable=1
what does that do and how do I do it?
usbhid(4) wouldn't do any good, atkbd(4) is the driver required for keyboards in vt(4).

Code:
% dmesg -a | grep atkbd
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

From BSD hardware probes, all ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506* models (no FA506NF among them) attach their keyboards to the atkbd(4) driver (see dmesg(8)es).

(Apple devices, at least a MacBookAir7,2, attach apparently their keyboard as a USB device. Search for "keyboard")

sapmix didn't mention the brand and model of his device, no reference here.

I advice to open a PR. It is not likely to get the issue resolved here in the forums. A FreeBSD developer would be the appropriate person to look into the problem, but they are rarely visiting the forums.

if it requires me to go to the shell I can't do it because thats where the system hangs
A kernel module driver can be loaded from the loader command line interface (at the boot menu escape to loader prompt), before the kernel is booted, but in this case there is no appropriate driver to load. The proper driver (atkbd(4)) is included in the (GENERIC) kernel.

I did some more googling and seems like people have had this issue with laptop keyboards since 13.0, even in normal TTY. Will get back to y’all when I’ve gotten my wifi working and can add the drivers suggested by the Reddit post.

usbhid(4) wouldn't do any good, atkbd(4) is the driver required for keyboards in vt(4).

Code:
% dmesg -a | grep atkbd
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

From BSD hardware probes, all ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506* models (no FA506NF among them) attach their keyboards to the atkbd(4) driver (see dmesg(8)es).

(Apple devices, at least a MacBookAir7,2, attach apparently their keyboard as a USB device. Search for "keyboard")

sapmix didn't mention the brand and model of his device, no reference here.

I advice to open a PR. It is not likely to get the issue resolved here in the forums. A FreeBSD developer would be the appropriate person to look into the problem, but they are rarely visiting the forums.

A kernel module driver can be loaded from the loader command line interface (at the boot menu escape to loader prompt), before the kernel is booted, but in this case there is no appropriate driver to load. The proper driver (atkbd(4)) is included in the (GENERIC) kernel.
Hello! Sorry that I forgot to mention that. It’s an Lenovo Ideapad 5 Slim Oled

what does that do and how do I do it?
if it requires me to go to the shell I can't do it because thats where the system hangs
It is a different driver that allow to use specifics element of the usb devices (like multimedia keys) connected, the directive make it enabled and the priority (you may have to load the driver too).

I remember that in the past I had a desktop that work with only one of my keyboard, but since I enabled it it worked with both of my keyboard, so I guess it changed something in an obscure ways.

You can edit the FreeBSD img files to use a modified /boot/loader.conf
In addition to load the module you may need to add:
Code:
usbhid_load="YES"

What is vendor and model of SSD? With some SSDs FreeBSD can hang or crash.

Also, you can install Ventoy on USB stick and load mfsbsd from it for checking keyboard and kernel messages.

update: I don't know how to edit /boot/loader.conf
"dmesg -a | grep atkbd" returns an error saying command not found
but I made some progress and I can say it's definitely my internal keyboard and mousepad. I connected my wireless mouse and it recognized it so my internal keyboard and mousepad are the problem. I don't what is asus doing or why they're doing it but the keyboard works in the bsdinstall menu and not past that. also my mouse works in the welcome menu but I can't use it to click on any of the options so I'm still stuck on linux.

You will need to mount the FreeBSD installation image file, then to mount the FreeBSD_Install partition.
On a FreeBSD system, I usually do dsbmc freebsd-installation-image.img, then I mount FreeBSD_Install and go to edit /media/FreeBSD_Install/boot/loader.conf

• Thanks
Reactions: mro
Back