Solved FreeBSD 13.3-RELEASE LLVM and clang updated to 17.0.6

As for @zirias "rolling release" point it's just incompetent. I'm telling this as a person who supported software repositories for organizations on paid basis
I don’t think anyone is getting paid to look after the FreeBSD repositories so there are not enough resources to be “all things to all men”. Choices have to be made.

They might not be choices some of us like or understand but there’s more work than developers.

If you don’t follow the choices made then you are running configurations that might cause you more issues and there won‘t be much support available,

In this case I agree it seems quite a jump from 14 to 17.

richardtoohey2 sometimes it just isn't worth to add anything further, I mean, the very first thing I explained in this thread is that llvm from ports is (almost?) never pulled in for the compiler, so, of course, changing the llvm version in DEFAULT_VERSION has nothing to do with the compiler used to build ports. And therefore, the "issue" we're talking about here isn't associated to the thread topic either. Still this guy didn't get it but started to complain in an extremely rude way.

And now, we're at the typical "but I don't want to upgrade" whining we've all seen countless times. Well, it's as simple as that, if you don't want to upgrade your ports/packages, FreeBSD isn't for you. While FreeBSD base has some "long term" support for major releases with stable ABI, ports doesn't. Thanks to the stable ABI, old packages will continue to work (and it's your own problem if you're running into security vulnerabilities with that), but there just isn't any sane way to ever guarantee some old ports tree will build fine with newer base versions.

Yes, this version jump of the base compiler is surprising. As I said, it won't violate the stable ABI, but one could still discuss whether it would be better to avoid such things. Still it won't solve the general issue. You have to keep your ports tree up to date, you can opt for a quarterly branch.

I don’t think anyone is getting paid to look after the FreeBSD repositories so there are not enough resources to be “all things to all men”. Choices have to be made.
I didn't expect paid support from the community for port tree. What I was talking about is that having a snapshot of software set is pretty common practice in enterprise environment. ABI stability during major release is a step from "rolling-update" experimental system towards such kind production-suitable environment. We update the base, but keep the software set. It's pretty logical to expect a trouble-less compatible build tool chain during minor-updates. And zirias "get [my] updates or go somewhere else" attitude doesn't worth commenting.

Back