FreeBSD 13.2 RC3 -- not

I was going to download this for something to do today, then I seen the download time. seriously? slow. so slow.

Screenshot_2023-03-23_08-44-31.png

Pick a different mirror. In my case ftp.nl.freebsd.org is much faster and ftp2.nl.freebsd.org is even faster.

Pick a different mirror. In my case ftp.nl.freebsd.org is much faster and ftp2.nl.freebsd.org is even faster.

I picked disk 1 as well , brought it down to 5hr and x minutes, and that should get me a system with wifi to the net to get the rest yes? as i usually get the dvd iso.( which is probably a stupid question, but I am asking it anyways 🤓 )

You should probably check the connection speed on your side. From ISP to ftp mirror closer to you.

Code:
$ time fetch http://ftp.cz.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/13.2/FreeBSD-13.2-RC2-amd64-disc1.iso
FreeBSD-13.2-RC2-amd64-disc1.iso                      1022 MB  104 MBps    09s

real    0m9.837s
user    0m0.382s
sys    0m1.246s

Just checked and everything's fine here:

1679580504233.png

It's sustaining >25MB/sec with peaks well above 30MB/s. Not fully saturating my bandwidth, but more than good enough...
So as already pointed out: choose another mirror. Depending on your ISP and type of uplink (esp. LTE/5G), the geographically nearest mirror doesn't always reflect the actually shortest/most direct route. Especially bigger ISPs often route on a "cheapest peer" basis, even if that means sending traffic halfway across the country or even continent.

I picked disk 1 as well , brought it down to 5hr and x minutes, and that should get me a system with wifi to the net to get the rest yes? as i usually get the dvd iso.( which is probably a stupid question, but I am asking it anyways 🤓 )
To be honest the DVD is rather pointless if you have a good internet connection. The only added benefit is that the DVD image has a bunch of packages included. But those packages were created when the release was made and are never updated. So by the time you get to install them they're already old.

Edit: removing foot from mouth. Below is for packages, not distributions. Oops...

Some of us have to make do with what we have:
Code:
[strand.276] $ pkg search fastest_pkg
py39-fastest_pkg-0.2.1         Script to find the fastest pkg mirror
[strand.277] $ fastest_pkg
pkg0.tuk.freebsd.org: 267.2 kB/s
pkg0.twn.freebsd.org: 340.0 kB/s
pkg0.fra.freebsd.org: 206.6 kB/s
pkg0.bbt.freebsd.org: 515.5 kB/s
pkg0.bme.freebsd.org: 243.0 kB/s
pkg0.bra.freebsd.org: 184.1 kB/s
pkg0.isc.freebsd.org: 0.0 B/s
pkg0.jinx.freebsd.org: 38.8 kB/s
pkg0.kul.freebsd.org: 284.1 kB/s
pkg0.kwc.freebsd.org: 277.4 kB/s
pkg0.nyi.freebsd.org: 404.0 kB/s

Fastest:
pkg0.bbt.freebsd.org: 515.5 kB/s

Write configuration:
mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/
echo 'FreeBSD: { url: "http://pkg0.bbt.freebsd.org/${ABI}/latest" }' \
    > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

pkg(8) typically automatically detects this and will update the local cache automatically.

pkg(8) typically automatically detects this and will update the local cache automatically.
yeah I usually just issue the 'pkg update' without the -f but I added that to try and not get yelled at for leaving that out because it in the hot to in the "webbook", and well you did something completely different on me instead . o_O

Most of the time pkg(8) keeps good track of the cached catalog. In some cases you might need to update it yourself using pkg update, and in even rarer cases would you actually need to force the update.

Most of the time pkg(8) keeps good track of the cached catalog. In some cases you might need to update it yourself using pkg update, and in even rarer cases would you actually need to force the update.
I was just "quoting" from this about the pkg update -f after one adds the new http to latest

4.4.2. Quarterly and Latest Ports Branches​

Well, it doesn't hurt to force the update. And I guess the handbook simply errs on the safe side, because pkg(8) can sometimes fail to pick up the changes.

Back