FreeBSD 13.1 KDE after gui login doesn't start plasma

I guys,

I installed FreeBSD 13.1, after it i installed these packages:

Code:
# pkg install --quiet --yes kde5 plasma5-sddm-kcm sddm xorg
# sysrc dbus_enable="YES" && service dbus start
# sysrc sddm_enable="YES" && service sddm start

I did a reboot, I have the KDE gui login but after it the system doesn't load plasma so I can see just the "X" on the black screen :(

How could I fix it?
GabrieleMax

Is this a new install? If so you need to change the session from wayland to X.
You can do it at the bottom left at the login screen.

Is this a new install? If so you need to change the session from wayland to X.
You can do it at the bottom left at the login screen.
Thanks for your reply, yes, it's a new install, I attacched two screenshots about it.

Attachments

• 20220520_110458.jpg
    20220520_110458.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 20220520_110619.jpg
    20220520_110619.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 200
Remove sddm_enable from rc.conf. Test and configure Xorg first using startx. Once that works correctly you can enable sddm again. Take progressive steps, don't try to enable everything in one go.

Remove sddm_enable from rc.conf. Test and configure Xorg first using startx. Once that works correctly you can enable sddm again. Take progressive steps, don't try to enable everything in one go.
Thanks for your reply, I did what you wrote but KDE doesn't start from normal user and also with root.

Attachments

• 20220520_171728.jpg
    20220520_171728.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 143
You may also want to also setup your gpu drm kernel module.

I assume that you have Intel? https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Hardware_Support
Hi Alexander,

"unfortunately" I have a Nvidia graphic card on my old Esprimo Mobile V6555, I remember when I had FreeBSD 13.0 I found and I tried a script for KDE which asked my the graphic card brand and I selected "old Nvidia", at that time I had problem with automatic startup but when I did startx I had the complete desktop environment.

GabrieleMax

Did you try to install x11/nvidia-driver-340 ? If it need an older version then you may have issue with recent version of xorg.
Add to your kld_list nvidia-modeset (maybe just nvidia should suffice since it is old driver, but you never know)

From the appearance of SDDM, I reckon that DRM kernel modules are loaded. (Also, like you, I'd like to know which modules.)
Xorg just falls back on vesa(4) or scfb(4).

Esprimo Mobile V6555
Geforce 8200M according to the specs I found online. That's an oldy.

Did you try to install x11/nvidia-driver-340 ?
According to the NVidia website the 340 version should support this card. The x11/nvidia-driver-340 driver should still work.

Did you try to install x11/nvidia-driver-340 ? If it need an older version then you may have issue with recent version of xorg.
Add to your kld_list nvidia-modeset (maybe just nvidia should suffice since it is old driver, but you never know)
Hi Monvarez,

I installed nvidia-driver-340 but it didn't solve the issue... I tried dmesg and I found the name of graphic card "nVidia nForce MCP79"

What could I do beyond to install the above package?

Regards.
GabrieleMax

Are you sure that MCP refers to an nVidia graphics card?
nfe(4) reports the MCP79 as:

Are there any other entries with "NVIDIA" ?
Thanks for your reply, you're right, I remember when I installed the system the network adapter named NVIDIA but on the laptop there's also the logo of Nvidia graphic card so... I'll check every Nvidia lines tomorrow morning! :)

Regards.
GabrieleMax

I tried to understand which is the graphic card model but by dmesg I can see just "NVIDIA nForce MCP79", I did desktop-installer (because on 13.0 it worked and it found the graphic card) but I have the attached issue... :\

Regards.
GabrieleMax

Attachments

• 20220526_145554.jpg
    20220526_145554.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 144
Back