FreeBSD 13.1 hangs " /boot/modules/nvidia.ko" How can I repair this?

I'm attempting to build 13.1 as a hyper-v machine under Windows 10 Pro, with ZFS partitions. I've been unable to get Xorg to start, with an error in Xorg.0.log "/dev/dr1/card0 no such file of directory". Realizing my win10 host has an nvidia video adapter, I followed https://docs.freebsd.org/doc/7.3-RELEASE/usr/share/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/nvidia-setup.html to install the nvidia ports and update my xorg.conf.d.
When I restarted, FreeBSD hangs almost immediately, the last line shown is "/boot/modules/nvidia.ko".
I booted using the DVD as single user, because I couldn't boot from the HDD even as single user. At this point I'm lost.
  • How can I boot to gain access to my ZFS-based filesystem?
  • Where can I find the missing nvidia.ko file I need in the /boot/modules directory?

I booted using the DVD as single user
I assume you are referring by DVD to the FreeBSD installer image.

Let the installer continue to the "Welcome" dialog. Drop there to "Shell" or "Live CD".

Proceed as follows:
Code:
# mkdir /tmp/a
# zpool import -fR /tmp/a zroot
# zfs mount zroot/ROOT/default

(Eventually replace pool name "zroot" if different.)

Remove nvidia_load="YES" from /tmp/a/boot/loader.conf .

I'm not familiar with hyper-v. Does the host system of a hyper-v machine passthrough the GPU to the guest? If not then the x11/nvidia-driver makes no sense on the FreeBSD guest.

No need to boot the installer. You still have access to the menu when you boot the system? Drop to the loader prompt, then:
Code:
unload
load /boot/kernel/kernel
load /boot/kernel/zfs.ko
boot -s
That should boot the system to single user mode without loading the NVidia module.

Back