FreeBSD 13.1 AMD 4700U amdgpu X failing to start

Hi,
I'm real new to BSD. I'm trying to run X on my laptop. It's running a 4700U which according to the list says it's supported. When I startx with no .xinitrc and nothing in xorg.conf.d it fails and I'm not sure why. I did add the amdgpu to the rc.conf through sysctl and I think it's loaded? I'm not entirely sure how to check.

I also tried it with the xorg.conf that X -configure generated. I put that in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf but that didn't seem to make a difference either.

I've been using Linux for a number of years and I'm trying to daily drive FreeBSD for a while to try it.

I found a reddit thread of the same issue but no one posted a solution. I also did put GhostBSD on a thumb drive and tried to boot that and that also didn't work but I didn't look to hard into that one.

Thank You!! I look forward to reading BSD code and not understanding it!!

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 79
  • pconflv.txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 71
  • xorg.conf.txt
    4 KB · Views: 73
  • rc.conf.txt
    298 bytes · Views: 75
Welcome!

I did add the amdgpu to the rc.conf through sysctl and I think it's loaded? I'm not entirely sure how to check.
It should be if graphics/drm-kmod is installed. You can check currently loaded modules with kldstat.

[ 1139.664] (II) AMDGPU(0): [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
[ 1139.665] (II) AMDGPU(1): [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
... you may need to install x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu.

Your Xorg.0.log seem to be the output when using the auto-generated xorg.conf. Could you please remove this file and share what the log looks like when no configuration file is present? Also make sure your user is a member of the video group.

I'm not familiar with AMD hardware but I'm surprised to see two devices automatically configured. You only have a single APU, right?

Alright I double checked I do have drm-kmod and xf86-video-amdgpu installed through ports. I'm still not sure when I should use pkg versus ports but tangent.

When I tried without the xorg.conf it's trying to use scfb for some reason? I vaguely remember another forum saying the PCI numbers were different than the defaults but I can't find it now. But I have no idea how to figure that stuff out. But cross referencing pciconf and the config X spit out I thought those look right.

Edit: Forgot to add kldstat.txt though I think it looks right anyways.

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.noconf.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 72
  • kldstat.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 72
I found this post. That dmesg doesn't look like mine. Makes me think it's not loading the firmware for mine. I'll attach here.

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 83
Okay I fixed my problem. Though someone is gonna have to explain this one to me.

Originally I installed kmod-drm through /usr/ports. Just now I installed it using pkg which looks like it forced it to update and now X is working.

....and now the touchpad doesn't work, *head on desk* guess I'll go internet search that now.

Back