Solved FreeBSD 13.0 runs Mathematica 11+ fully GL accelerated / nVidia

To date, Wolfram says only RedHat, UBUTNU, Linuxes work. No google search turns up affirmation Mathematica runs on FreeBSD with accelerated GL.

* I have an nVidia GTX 1050 gaming card. I installed FreeBSD 13 xorg and linux-c7 and nvidia-driver firefox related packages (no desktop installed except Motif). Accelerated GL works on FreeBSD 13 generally.

* I used a custom dd(1) script to "rip the .tar.gz" out of Mathematica11.0.1LINUX.sh , ran MathInstaller without issues.

* slightly altered /usr/local/bin/[mathematica_scripts] for FreeBSD

* At this point running "mathematica -e" ran ldd and told me libasound and libGL were not found, libasound is a c7 that is easy.

* got error "libGL.so.1 wrong ABI", nothing seemed to work. Found that MM11 comes with Mesa libGL.so.1.5 ? tried it.

export USE_WOLFRAM_LD_LIBRARY_PATH=1
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/11.0/SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux-x86-64/Mesa

This worked, but the software rendering was not satisfactory compared to Win10's situation. I was about to give up and try Ubunti-18 or just fall back to Win10

* nvidia website mentioned in (cuda related?) post libGL.so.1.2 and libGL.so.1.7 are not the same: libglvnd is needed for libGL.so.1.7 and is not related to nVidia's 460 driver?

* DO NOT pkg install libglvnd , it demans removing xorg, firefox, nvidia-driver, which may be just incorrect "depends" considering!

$ pkg fetch libglvnd

go to /var/cache, find your .txz and extract in [/tmp]

$ cp -a /usr/local/lib/libGL* /usr/local/lib/tmp/
$ cp -a /tmp/libGL* /usr/local/lib/

That may not "be correctly installed GL", but it works very well for MM11 and Firefox seems to run snappy: that's all I need. Run 'mathematica' without #LD...Linux-x86-64/Mesa addition above.

I have not tried MM12.2 but from the above (libGL.so.1.5 < libGL.so.1.7) I think it will work also.

So, not as easy or featured as Win10 (ie, no automatic sound support for LED TV speakers through nVidia card). But on the other hand it is running on Unix which some prefer. Rumor is Steam games may also be working somewhat on 13.

Update info.

* Versions 12.0-12.3 not only crash but cause soft-reboot of PC

* 11.3 is nicer (fonts!!) and appears to works well with slight addition:

$ cd /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/11.3/SystemFiles
$ cp -a ../../12.2/SystemFiles/Java/ Java/ Java/

However this Java issue is not specific FreeBSD issue: the 11.1+ series had "dynamic issues, and opening help issues" on all platforms. Note 12.2 is not free of crash issues on iMac or Win10 and Ubu RH I haven't tried are not a personal goal of mine to be limited to.

* I used a custom dd(1) script to "rip the .tar.gz" out of Mathematica11.0.1LINUX.sh , ran MathInstaller without issues.
Headers of Mathematica_1X.XX.XX_LINUX.sh contain "This script was generated using Makeself 2.1.1", so there is no need of custom extractor, should be enough to run from your download directory:

./Mathematica_1X.XX.XX_LINUX.sh --target /tmp/MathSetup

Back