FreeBSD 13.0 - Intel Haswell DT-GT 1.5 Integrated Graphics GPU

Hello

I've just installed FreeBSD 13.0 on a Lenovo Thinkpad M73 machine that comes with an Intel Haswell DT-GT 1.5 Integrated Graphics GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4400).

I'm just wondering if i should download and install an appropriate driver or if the OS is supporting this GPU out of the box.

Just to mention that machine is connected with a VGA simple monitor.

Thank in advance

Attachments

• specs-pc.png
    specs-pc.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 232
Read this, the section titled "Intel Integrated Graphics (aka HD Graphics)". It seems to be a good fit for the specs OP posted. Installing graphics/drm-kmod as per advice from SirDice is only the start, there's still a few more steps before you have a working desktop. Handbook is also a great place to look - after completing the steps in the wiki I linked to initially.

Read this, the section titled "Intel Integrated Graphics (aka HD Graphics)". It seems to be a good fit for the specs OP posted. Installing graphics/drm-kmod as per advice from SirDice is only the start, there's still a few more steps before you have a working desktop. Handbook is also a great place to look - after completing the steps in the wiki I linked to initially.
I carefully read the threat i stuck here:

• Ensure your UID is a member of the "video" group.

I carefully read the threat i stuck here:

• Ensure your UID is a member of the "video" group.
You are stuck there?

Well then, check if your user is a member of the "video" group. If not, add him there.
As per pw() manpage:
Code:
Add the existing user jsmith to the wheel group, in addition to the other groups jsmith is already a member of.

pw groupmod wheel -m jsmith

I think that I have corrupted my system when I rebooted it.

I’ve install the system again and I will follow this guide more carefully

Just to mention that it’s my first time in BSD Unix and I’m trying to learn as much as possible I can

Just to ask this: is it necessary to install the driver?My system behaves quickly and it’s a powerful and stable workstation now

Maybe a YouTube video will help me fix my graphics

Just to mention that it’s my first time in BSD Unix and I’m trying to learn as much as possible I can

Just to ask this: is it necessary to install the driver?My system behaves quickly and it’s a powerful and stable workstation now

Maybe a YouTube video will help me fix my graphics
I don't think the system is corrupted - a mis-configured graphics driver can make I/O unusable. The basic logic is:
  1. Install the correct graphics driver (using command line). Yes, that is needed.
  2. Enable it correctly (there's different config files that can be used, like /boot/loader.conf, /etc/rc.conf, refer to the Handbook for instructions)
  3. Follow Handbook's instructions for installing XFCE.
  4. Install and enable the login manager for XFCE.
  5. Once steps above are done, then you can reboot.
If you mess up the config steps above, that does not mean a corrupted system. One option for fixing that is using SSH to get in and fix the config files using command-line utilities. If that's not an option, then yeah, go ahead and re-install, following instructions in the Handbook.

As for YouTube - Try correlating what you see with Handbook's instructions, and pay attention to when YouTube content deviates from the latest Handbook content.

One good lesson to learn here is how to fix this without resorting to reinstalling the whole system. It's not corrupted, it may be crashing during boot though. One way to try and solve this is by booting to single user mode and removing the last change you've made. If booting to single user mode also crashes the system then you should learn how to work with the loader(8) to unload the kernel (and the module that caused the crash), then loading a clean kernel without that module and booting the system that way.

One good lesson to learn here is how to fix this without resorting to reinstalling the whole system. It's not corrupted, it may be crashing during boot though. One way to try and solve this is by booting to single user mode and removing the last change you've made. If booting to single user mode also crashes the system then you should learn how to work with the loader(8) to unload the kernel (and the module that caused the crash), then loading a clean kernel without that module and booting the system that way.
i did boot with single user mode, then delete the drm package, reboot and still the same.

i have to learn a lot around here since its my first experience with unix and command lines

i did boot with single user mode, then delete the drm package, reboot and still the same.

i have to learn a lot around here since its my first experience with unix and command lines
We did not mean for you to delete the drm package... graphics/drm-kmod is a bit of a catch-all that will most likely cover the GPU you mentioned you have. But yeah, it's important to get comfortable with command line first. Userland utilities like cd, ls, cat, less, and more (yes, there is such a utility, /bin/more, although it's a little old, and /bin/less is more commonly used).

yes, there is such a utility, /bin/more, although it's a little old, and /bin/less is more commonly used).
On FreeBSD less(1) and more(1) are the same executable. But it has different behavior based on the way it is executed.

Code:
dice@hosaka:~ % ls -li /usr/bin/more /usr/bin/less
818553 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  185672 Sep 15 15:23 /usr/bin/less
818553 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  185672 Sep 15 15:23 /usr/bin/more
For the uninitiated, the inodes (the first number on the lines) are the same of those files. Which means they are hard-linked. In simpler words, they both point to the same file content on disk.

SirDice , I wonder if we got a bit too complicated for OP... Yeah, we point out obscure trivia, while OP still needs to get comfortable with just navigating the command line. It took me awhile to warm up to UNIX and command line back in the day. We'd know how to pipe compiler messages to termbin.com, while OP still needs to install editors/nano to edit config files and correlate their content to results he sees at reboot. FWIW, I still need to have a command reference handy if I have to use vi(1).

I wonder if we got a bit too complicated for OP.
You may be right.
What exactly is happening when you boot? Try to explain what you're seeing. In this case I'll even settle for a picture. We can't see what's happening on your end so we have to rely on the information you're giving us.

...its my first experience with unix and command lines
That's my cue...

What I have for you, Babinio74, yes you, is a Beginners Tutorial with a target audience of someone who has never used the command line that takes you from installation of the FreeBSD Base System to a fully functional Fluxbox Window Manager FreeBSD desktop using ports to compile third party programs.

You can substitute pkg for ports by referencing the FreeBSD Handbook for instruction, still follow the basic outline and acquire some valuable command line experience in doing so.

You'll have to figure out your video driver issues as that's outside the scope of the tutorial, but once at the DE/WM of your choice there are System and Security files that require editing. I provide examples of doing so, a pf firewall ruleset for general desktop use and an adaptation for people who use CUPS.

I would have played you some Cake but was overcome by Infectious Grooves.

There are 12 individual pages of FreeBSD forum member screenshots showing different DE and WM in use and over 50 wallpapers on my site to help make up for it.

And it's all free!

That's my cue...

What I have for you, Babinio74, yes you, is a Beginners Tutorial with a target audience of someone who has never used the command line that takes you from installation of the FreeBSD Base System to a fully functional Fluxbox Window Manager FreeBSD desktop using ports to compile third party programs.

You can substitute pkg for ports by referencing the FreeBSD Handbook for instruction, still follow the basic outline and acquire some valuable command line experience in doing so.

You'll have to figure out your video driver issues as that's outside the scope of the tutorial, but once at the DE/WM of your choice there are System and Security files that require editing. I provide examples of doing so, a pf firewall ruleset for general desktop use and an adaptation for people who use CUPS.

There are 12 individual pages of FreeBSD forum member screenshots showing different DE and WM in use and over 50 wallpapers on my site to help make up for it.

And it's all free!
thank you very much for your support to FreeBSD beginners !!!
That's my cue...

And it's all free!

You may be right.

What exactly is happening when you boot? Try to explain what you're seeing. In this case I'll even settle for a picture. We can't see what's happening on your end so we have to rely on the information you're giving us.
Next time i will use Screenshots when i got stuck in various issues, now i have installed system again

We did not mean for you to delete the drm package... graphics/drm-kmod is a bit of a catch-all that will most likely cover the GPU you mentioned you have. But yeah, it's important to get comfortable with command line first. Userland utilities like cd, ls, cat, less, and more (yes, there is such a utility, /bin/more, although it's a little old, and /bin/less is more commonly used).
nevermind, i have re-installed a fresh copy of freebsd and im learning from my mistakes..

You are stuck there?

Well then, check if your user is a member of the "video" group. If not, add him there.
As per pw() manpage:
Code:
Add the existing user jsmith to the wheel group, in addition to the other groups jsmith is already a member of.

pw groupmod wheel -m jsmith
so , pw groupmod video -m (user name) is the correct command to create a video group and add (user name) there?

so , pw groupmod video -m (user name) is the correct command to create a video group and add (user name) there?
you don't create "video" group with that command.
"video" group must already exists when you execute that command.
That command just adds user (user name) to the already existing "video" group.

For creating groups, you use the command pw groupadd
I don't remember creating the "video" group thou, I think it already exists on default FreeBSD installation.
you can look if the video group already exists (and its GID and members) with pw group show video

Code:
~> pw group show video
video:*:44:matt_k,goatse
~> pw group show wheel
wheel:*:0:root,matt_k

Back