Solved [FreeBSD 12] Base System tiny aclocal bug-fix

Hey All,

First off, I have my flame-suit on --just-in-case--, because I suspect I might be posting in the wrong section.
I ran into a bit of a snafu while building a rare-to-FreeBSD bit of source code. For this reason, and the fact that the file in question resides in /usr/local/share/aclocal/ and requires all of 2 characters (literally 2 square braces, less significant) added for the fix, I thought I'd drop it here for someone with better access to filing patches to important sections of the OS. I haven't been snouting around enough to know if this file is actually provided by some particular port of package (aclocal or gdk?).

The filename is /usr/local/share/aclocal/gdk-pixbuf.m4 and the line in question is line 12, and appears as:

AC_DEFUN(AM_PATH_GDK_PIXBUF,

And needs 2 brackets added, so:

AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_GDK_PIXBUF],

When compiling software that calls on this particular snippet of code, you'll get a bunch of warning-spam to the terminal...which appears not to be crucial or fatal to finishing compilation. I can't be entirely sure of this, due to my (very) limited use of anything that uses this snippet.
Once the 2 brackets [ & ] are added, all's happy again, and your terminal won't yell at you anymore.

Moderators: my gratitude for/if moving this post to where it needs to be.

Last edited:
Anything in /usr/local/ is not part of the base.

I thought I'd drop it here for someone with better access to filing patches to important sections of the OS.
Anybody can open a PR and/or submit patches. You don't need to have commit privileges for that. You only need to register.
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi

But as I said, /usr/local/ is not part of the base. Have a look with pkg which <path to file> to find out which port/package it came from.

Anything in /usr/local/ is not part of the base.

Anybody can open a PR and/or submit patches. You don't need to have commit privileges for that. You only need to register.
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi

But as I said, /usr/local/ is not part of the base. Have a look with pkg which <path to file> to find out which port/package it came from.

I figured about as much, but decided to tip-toe in caution. I wasn't able to convince myself of a requirement, or lack thereof, for some form of higher organizational privilege hierarchy when reporting about stuff located in /usr/local/, figuring it was the domain of system developers.

As per usual, a massive "doh!" on my part... I hadn't thought about the pkg which procedure. Typical stupidity on my behalf; another one of those "it couldn't possibly be that easy." situations.

Got a PR & patch proposal to file for a USB device quirk next. Much obliged!

Back