Solved FreeBSD 12.1 + Xorg base installed.

Hello, as the matter of the thread says, I have installed the base 12.1 system plus xorg and mate, when I want to log in it throws me 2 white terminals, one larger than the other on the entire screen, I press Ctrl + C and I leave those terminals going back to the normal user promp $.

My graphics card is Nvidia GTX 1650

Necesito, por favor, ¿podría darme ayuda sobre cómo continuar?

Since already very grateful in advance!

when I want to log in it throws me 2 white terminals, one larger than the other on the entire screen,
That seems to be the x11-wm/twm (Tab Window Manager), installed by x11/xorg meta port. You need to tell xinit(1) which window manager to start. When no window manager/desktop environment is specified, xinit reads /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc:
Code:
twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
The first two xterm's are what you apparently see on screen (on a very low screen resolution, where the clock and the largest xterm are outside the visible area).

To start mate, set in the users home directory, in file .xinitrc, on the last line:
Code:
exec mate-session

run startx.

My graphics card is Nvidia GTX 1650
I assume you have for it the x11/nvidia-driver installed. If the screen resolution doesn't resolve to the displays default resolution, install x11/nvidia-settings, set correct resolution.

T-Daemon
First of all thanks for responding!

That seems to be the x11-wm/twm (Tab Window Manager), installed by x11/xorg meta port. You need to tell xinit(1) which window manager to start. When no window manager/desktop environment is specified, xinit reads /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc:
Code:
twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

Now, as you say in /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc I have exactly that, as seen in the screenshot.

The first two xterm's are what you apparently see on screen (on a very low screen resolution, where the clock and the largest xterm are outside the visible area).

To start mate, set in the users home directory, in file .xinitrc, on the last line:
Code:
exec mate-session

run startx

Obviously error, also please see capture.

I assume you have for it the x11/nvidia-driver installed. If the screen resolution doesn't resolve to the displays default resolution, install x11/nvidia-settings, set correct resolution.

I have it installed, according to capture or I am wrong. :(

Thanks again for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_20200615_215745623.jpg
    IMG_20200615_215745623.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20200615_215427665.jpg
    IMG_20200615_215427665.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20200616_103734056.jpg
    IMG_20200616_103734056.jpg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 112
You need to edit that file and comment (#) twm & other so he (twm) can't start or more simple create your own xinitrc file.

e.g. touch .xinitrc and add with the help of an editor the following:

Code:
!/bin/sh

exec mate-session

You need to edit that file and comment (#) twm & other so he (twm) can't start or more simple create your own xinitrc file.

e.g. touch .xinitrc and add with the help of an editor the following:

Code:
!/bin/sh

exec mate-session

Minbari Thank you!
I restart and see how it goes, then I return.

The second image (Xorg.0.log) indicates the nvidia kernel module isn't loaded. To make sure the basic configuration is done correctly:

1 - After the installation of the nvidia-driver, to load the NVIDIA kernel module, set in /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
kld_list="nvidia-modeset"

1.1 - Or alternatively set in /boot/loader.conf (but do not set in both):
Code:
 nvidia-modeset_load="YES"

2 - Delete any xorg.conf file (that one in the first image).

3 - Create a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf driver configuration file with setting:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "GTX 1650"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

To avoid rebooting run as root kldload nvidia-modeset, run startx, report back. If you want to share text information from a installation without xorg, please install misc/pastebinit, execute eg: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit. That will send the content of the log (or any other text file) to https://pastebin.com and will return an URL, please post that URL.

The only thing I can show from a dmesg in a tty is the end or is there another way to extract the dmesg from a tty?
You can run dmesg | pastebinit and post the URL (see my posting #7 for pastebinit). But in this case dmesg isn't necessary. Also the second picture is Xorg.0.log, Elazar mistook it for dmesg.

The second image (Xorg.0.log) indicates the nvidia kernel module isn't loaded. To make sure the basic configuration is done correctly:

1 - After the installation of the nvidia-driver, to load the NVIDIA kernel module, set in /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
kld_list="nvidia-modeset"

1.1 - Or alternatively set in /boot/loader.conf (but do not set in both):
Code:
 nvidia-modeset_load="YES"

2 - Delete any xorg.conf file (that one in the first image).

3 - Create a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf driver configuration file with setting:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "GTX 1650"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Code:
Thank you all very much, for guiding me !!!
At the end log in
😉

Back