FreeBSD 11 / rpi-B: external USB ethernet adapter cannot be configured

I am running FreeBSD 11 on a raspberrypi-B. The built-in ethernet adapter is working fine with no extra configuration. I have bought an external USB ethernet adapter and trying to get it to work.

The external adapter is recognized by the kernel: in /var/run/dmesg.boot there are the following lines:
Code:
ugen0.3: <vendor 0x0424> at usbus0
smsc0: <vendor 0x0424 product 0xec00, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 3> on usbus0
smsc0: chip 0xec00, rev. 0002
miibus0: <MII bus> on smsc0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> PHY 1 on miibus0
ukphy0:  none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
ue0: <USB Ethernet> on smsc0
ue0: Ethernet address: b8:27:eb:3a:47:29
ugen0.4: <DAVICOM> at usbus0
ugen0.5: <Iomega> at usbus0
umass0: <MSC Bulk-Only Transfer> on usbus0
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/rootfs [rw]...
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <ST350082 0AS > Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: Serial Number 955FFFFFFFFF
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 476940MB (976773168 512 byte sectors)
da0: quirks=0x2<NO_6_BYTE>
warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set accurately
random: unblocking device.
smsc0: chip 0xec00, rev. 0002
ue0: link state changed to DOWN
ue0: link state changed to UP
cdce0: <DAVICOM DM9621A USB To FastEther, class 2/0, rev 2.00/1.01, addr 4> on usbus0
ue1: <USB Ethernet> on cdce0
ue1: Ethernet address: 00:60:6e:b3:5e:2e
As you can see, the built-in ethernet adapter is recognized as ue0, whereas the external one (DAVICOM DM9621A) is ue1.

However, when I try
sudo ifconfig ue0 I get
Code:
ue0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
   options=80009<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,LINKSTATE>
   ether b8:27:eb:3a:47:29
   inet 192.168.2.108 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
   media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
   nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
while sudo ifconfig ue1 gives
Code:
ue1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
   ether 00:60:6e:b3:5e:2e
   nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
Notice that there is no media and no status line.
Also, if I plug the network cable into the external adapter and restart the network, ue1 stays in the above state, with no media / status information.

I have tested the adapter in the shop (on Windows) and on my desktop (Debian GNU/Linux) and it works. Do I need a special driver? Do you have any hints?

FreeBSD uses a file for all the USB devices to be detected.
Take a look at /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs. This file has both VendorID and ProductID for all supported devices.
Search the list for your devices VID and PID. If not found add them. Then you will need to compile a kernel with them.

To find your devices VID and PID you would use usbconfig -u 0 -a 4 dump_device_desc
FreeBSD usbconfig shows VendorID=idVendor and PID=idProduct

I would make sure the chipset is supported before wasting too much time on this.
Thanks for the hint. I found the vendor but not the product in that file. Does this mean that this device is not supported? I also wonder why the kernel would create a network interface for this device if it were not supported.

Yes I just noticed that. There is no accompanying product ID in the file.

I do see OpenBSD usbdevs lists it.

I retracted my post because it seems with a ue1 device showing you probably are OK.
With no product ID I have to wonder.

The few posts I found don't sound good. That said it is a USB-1.1 era device and maybe there is some quirk needed.

I don't think you have anything to lose. Try adding your productID to the list and compile a custom kernel to try.

I also wonder about the cdce class it is showing up as. cdce ethernet is what 3G modems use traditionally.
That could change with the adding of the product ID.

I don't think you have anything to lose. Try adding your productID to the list and compile a custom kernel to try.

I also wonder about the cdce class it is showing up as. cdce ethernet is what 3G modems use traditionally.
That could change with the adding of the product ID.
You mean I should just add a new entry and compile the kernel? I have compiled the Linux kernel before but I have no experience with the FreeBSD kernel.

Also, I have tested the device on my desktop (also FreeBSD 11) and I have the same behaviour. So I will first compile the kernel for the desktop and, if it works, I will try it on the raspberrypi.

You mean I should just add a new entry and compile the kernel? I have compiled the Linux kernel before but I have no experience with the FreeBSD kernel.

Also, I have tested the device on my desktop (also FreeBSD 11) and I have the same behaviour. So I will first compile the kernel for the desktop and, if it works, I will try it on the raspberrypi.
You may not need to recompile the kernel, just use usb_quirk(4), more info is here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/57299/

You may not need to recompile the kernel, just use usb_quirk(4), more info is here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/57299/
I tried sudo usbconfig -d ugen0.2 add_quirk UQ_CFG_INDEX_0 through sudo usbconfig -d ugen0.2 add_quirk UQ_CFG_INDEX_4, where the device was listed as
Code:
Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen0.2: ID 0a46:1269 Davicom Semiconductor, Inc.
but still no result.

Then I have added all possible quirks one after another with no success.

I have also compiled the standard 11.0 kernel after adding the lines
Code:
/* Davicom products */
product DAVICOM DM9621A         0x1269  DM9621A USB To FastEther DAVICOM
to /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs.

I have booted the new kernel but the problem is still there.
I have also verified that the kernel module for the device (if_udav) is loaded.

-------------------------

Can it be that I have to set some permissions on the device or configure it in some way? I had a similar problem under Linux with a USB scanner: I had to set permissions on the device file that is created when the scanner is attached. Is there something like this on FreeBSD?

Back