FreeBSD 11.2 server. Upcoming 11.3 or 12.1 ?

Hello, I have a bhyve/jail vimage server at home. As we have 2 versions of FreeBSD upcoming, I'm not sure what to choose.
My 11.2 setup relies on https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/netpfil/pf/pf.c?r1=320848&r2=320847&pathrev=320848 to properly operate VIMAGE jails, but I think this patch is merged to both upcoming versions. Other than this, I have no issues and pretty happy with my setup.
I run 12.0 on my laptop and poudriere build node without any issues. Should I conservatively upgrade to 11.3 or try something new ? I'm interested in VIMAGE and bhyve improvements mostly.

Well, that's doubles the work. Probably. I'll upgrade to 11.3 and stop :p
Is jails continue to operate without upgrade? I never updated jails before, so it will take some time.

I'd upgrade the production system to 11.3 and use a separate machine to do a lot of testing with 12.0-12.1. Keep the status quo on the production systems until you've tested everything and are sure 12.1 will work for you.

Exactly what I was looking for. The problem is that we would like to be testing FBSD12.x on our dedicated server, which now runs 11.3. Unfortunately, that is not possible with Poudriere.

It's not convenient to be using Poudriere on the desktop machine despite that it runs FBSD12.

In my case, I've been running 12.0 for a while with 11.3 jail, upgraded form 11.2.
The strange thing, after upgrading the jail from 11.2 to 11.3, is that my uname inside the jail indicates only:
12.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p7 GENERIC amd64

If I remember correctly, the jail should indicate its own release version as well - is that right?

In my 11.3 jail the following show:

Code:
cat /etc/profile
# $FreeBSD: releng/11.3/etc/profile 208116 2010-05-15 17:49:56Z jilles $
#
# System-wide .profile file for sh(1).

and

Code:
cat /etc/csh.cshrc
# $FreeBSD: releng/11.3/etc/csh.cshrc 50472 1999-08-27 23:37:10Z peter $
#
# System-wide .cshrc file for csh(1).

The strange thing, after upgrading the jail from 11.2 to 11.3, is that my uname inside the jail indicates only:
A jail doesn't have a kernel, it runs on top of the host's kernel. So it will always show the host's kernel information.

Exactly a jail would have the same version as its host. You probably did not run 'mergemaster -iU' to merge your system files for the host and 'mergemaster -iU -D /JAIL_DIR/' for the jail.
Your jail might however be on a different patch level (perhaps for its userland) if you don't update it. If you are not using custom kernel AND you are using a jail utility like ezjail, you could run 'ezjail update -u'.
Don't forget to also regularly update your jail ports like its userland with "ezjail-admin update -P"

You probably did not run 'mergemaster -iU' to merge your system files for the host and 'mergemaster -iU -D /JAIL_DIR/' for the jail.
No, I don't use mergemaster or ezjail. I create and manage my jails with iocage, it works for me.

Your /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile should no longer be showing 11.3. Your base OS runs FBSD12. You need merge your system files with mergemaster. There should not be anything like 11.2 or 11.3 unless you are using a buildsystem - Poudreire etc.

Strange enough, patch I mentioned not merged to 11.3. :( So, vanilla kernel still unusable for VNET.

A jail doesn't have a kernel, it runs on top of the host's kernel. So it will always show the host's kernel information.
freebsd-version shows userland version. Useful for upgrade.

Back