freeBSD 10.3 installation failed on HP Proliant DL360 Gen10

Hello all,

I am trying to install FreeBSD 10.3 on new server unsuccessfully.

The installation hang after the folowing error: "Kernel traps 12 with interrupt disabled" in attachement the capture of the logs.

The type of the processor is Intel(R) Xeon(R) Bronze 3106 CPU @ 1.70GHz
Is FreeBSD 10.3 supported by HP servers?

Is a there a workaround to install it on that server?

Thank in advance
Your hep will be appreciated

Best Regards
Saki_jumeau

Attachments

• install error.png
    install error.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 311

Attachments

• FreeBSD 11.1 disk size not show.PNG
    FreeBSD 11.1 disk size not show.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 297
  • FreeBSD 11.1 install error.PNG
    FreeBSD 11.1 install error.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 306
  • FreeBSD 12.0 install error (2).PNG
    FreeBSD 12.0 install error (2).PNG
    27 KB · Views: 319
Saki_jumeau ,
Do you know what (hard drive / disk ) controller is in your HP? I think I recall it being an LSI. I mention it, because I believe you might need to load an additional driver. If it's not set as raid in the bios. You might do well to set it as achi. There a couple threads on the mailing lists recently that mentioned some difficulty on these, and that that was the solution. Maybe post a copy of your /var/run/dmesg.boot from the (attempted) install. If you can manage a copy. :)

HTH

--Chris

If I recall correctly HP can supply different types of cards, some are indeed just rebranded LSI controllers. If it's a fairly new LSI controller you may need to use hw.mfi.mrsas_enable="1" before the card is detected.

Dear All,

Thanks you for your assistance. Fortunately wa were able to install FreeBSD 11.1 release by loading a driver for the disk controller before OS installation. I used the folowing link to solve the issue
https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/speed/raid/aac/unix/smartpqi_freebsd_v1.0.1-239_tgz.php

I have another issue, the installation is completed but I am not able to connect to server via ssh but I can ping the IP. I checked ssh service by using /etc/rc.d/sshd status and it is running fine .
1530011462683.png

Can you guide me where do I need to check?
I need your help once more.

Best Regards
Saki

Can you guide me where do i need to check?
Check with sockstat(1) to see if there's a port opened.

And what error are you getting? A connection closed error is different from a connection time out for example. A closed connection typically means the port is not open (i.e. the service is not listening), time-outs often indicate a firewall that's blocking the connection.

If you are trying to ssh as root, you may need to permit root login in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Search "PermitRootLogin" in above file, uncomment it and set it to "yes" and try ssh again.

If you are trying to ssh as root, you may need to permit root login in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Search "PermitRootLogin" in above file, uncomment it and set it to "yes" and try ssh again.
Don't do this. Seriously. It's turned off for a reason.

I remember, that at least for my HP Microserver Gen8 I had to select AHCI mode for storage controller in the system's BIOS. Otherwise controller works in some proprietary mode and is not supported on most OSes, apart from using binary BLOB, unavailable for FreeBSD, only on Windows and select Linux distributions.

Back